Q: I was wondering, how big the Skip Hop bag is. On the website, it looks huge! Is it really that big? If you could post a pic with it for comparison purposes, I would really appreciate it!
A: I can't imagine a diaper bag smaller than this - but I usually carry big handbags. In fact, this is my "small" diaper bag - the bag my cousin made me is what I use when I really need to pack a lot - it's not significantly bigger in dimensions, but opens to a much bigger size. The Skip Hop s 12 1/2 inches across and opens to about 8 inches and is 11 inches deep. It has a TON of pockets, I don't use all of the pockets, but I like them. I carry my wallet, my planner, a diaper caddy stuffed with three dipes and a pack of wipes (made to match the diaper bag my cousin made - that thing goes from diaper bag to diaper bag to purse - I don't leave home without it), my nursing cover (ditto), an extra outfit, pacifiers, spoons and homemade baby food and a blanket. I can stuff my Ergo carrier in the top in a pinch, but then the flap doesn't close.
Here are some pictures:
The Skip Hop compared to recognizable baby items: A regular Boppy pillow behind it and a size 2 diaper, 4 oz bottle (yes, my child is 6 months old and only drinks 3 - 4 oz at a time...we grow 'em small but healthy) and my wallet in front.
The Diaper Bag stuffed.
Side View - that side pocket fits his bottle, but I stash my keys there.
Back pocket with changing pad that I use all the freaking time.
And, begrudgingly, a picture of me with the bag because I know that's the best indicator. I'm 5'6 and wear a size 4 (but have disproportionate to my waist linebacker swimmer shoulders) if you need to compare stature - and I'm on my way to workout in this picture but usually look about this messy so don't let me fool you.
So, I love it and think it's the perfect size for my needs, I can't imagine it any smaller - but like I said, I carry big bags. I know SkipHop makes a smaller bag (maybe called the Duo?). I can't imagine squeezing my stuff in that, but not sure how it compares. Anyone have any feedback on their diaper bags for Katy?









Emily (and Katy), I have the Skip Hop Duo Deluxe diaper bag, and love it! At 13 x 14 x 4, it's slightly taller than the messenger style bag. It has two large pockets and two small pockets on the inside, and two magnetic pockets, a mesh pocket and cell phone pocket on the outside. It also has a place to slip the changing pad into and two zipper pouches on top. It can really hold a TON, which is great for going out for longer periods of time or on car trips. I regularly carry: a recieving blanket, 2 ounce ready-to-feed bottle and nipple, munchkin formula holder, 8 ounce bottle, zip-loc baggie of extra clothes, 4 diapers and wipes case, two burp cloths, rain carrier cover, my water bottle, keys, wallet and phone, two rattles, baby sunglasses, a hat and usually one other toy. For a longer trip, it can hold more, if well organized.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I have the Skip Hop Duo as well and though I haven't used it yet, this post (and the comment above) make me very happy with my choice. It comes with the same changing pad that you have and I think that is a great perk, too. Interesting thought about a diaper caddy... I must look into that!
ReplyDeleteI have one of the JJ Cole Diaper bags, and also a cheap one from Target. I do still use them sometimes, but I mostly now just use an old leather purse/hobo bag that's big enough to cram everything into. It's one of the small things that made me feel "normal" again.
ReplyDeleteI still use the diaper bags sometimes (like if I'm dropping Lizzy at someone's house for a couple hours), but it's not my go-to bag, and I'm glad that we didn't spend a lot of money on it!
I have the Skip Hop Studio and I love it. Many people have actually asked where I got my purse -- I love that it doesn't look quite so "diaper bag-y" But, the drawback to that is my husband doesn't like to carry it.
ReplyDeleteIt holds about the same amount of stuff that you fit in yours. I love all the pockets and would definitely recommend it.
Thanks for the post. It is nice to see/hear what other mommies cart around all the time. :)
what a great comparison. this would be very handy if i had a baby.
ReplyDelete感谢您发表您,这是很有益的,说了很多
ReplyDeleteMy cousin had twins a few years back and she carried the Ju Ju Be "Be All" bag and I loved it! Whenever I took the kiddos, that bag came along. It held all the necessary supplies (for 2!), and then some, without being bulky, heavy, or huge. Big plus is that it comes in some awesome colors and patterns. And the fabric was super easy to wipe down if it got spilled on. And tooling around on their site just now, I found the "WannaBe" and the "Be Spicy" which look fabulous as well!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great bag Emily! I have a huge baby bag too and use it as my diaper bag and purse. If you have a baby, a BIG bag is a must!!! I love your demo, great post!!! I hope all is well with you!! :)
ReplyDeleteI do not use a diaper bag - those days are over. But I enjoyed reading the comments and I love the photo with you as the model. I wish I could come right out there and give you and Thomas both a big hug each. Love your blog and love your posts.
ReplyDeleteI'm just now catching up on my Google Reader from Thanksgiving (I'm SO behind!) and I REALLY and TRULY appreciate this post just for me! I love both the Skip Hop Via and the Dash and am trying to decide which one I want. I definitely need a diaper bag that my husband can carry, too, as we'll be trading off baby duties fairly often. Thanks so much for the feedback - it's really helped.
ReplyDelete