Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Envelope System of Budgeting: 2011 Budget

Our normally very strict budget fell apart the last two months of 2010.  We got lazy about withdrawing the cash for envelopes and were generally feeling unmotivated to live so frugally.  But we're back at it in 2011.

Despite falling off the budgeting wagon at the end of the year, we accomplished a lot financially in 2010.  We went to Italy.  We fully funded an emergency fund for 18 months of living expenses.  We payed off B's car three years early and bought a newer car for me in cash that has room for me to drive Thomas and future McKiddles around town for years to come.  We can survive on only B's income so we can save all of mine. 

We also spent way too much money on the holidays, unnecessary personal purchases (wants definitely not needs) and eating out in the last two months of the year.  We got lazy about our cash budget.  I saw cute things and I bought them (damn that Amazon.com that makes shopping so easy).  So, we're back at it in a big way.  2011 is going to be an expensive year.  We have five weddings to attend and three of them are out of state.  I would like to turn one of those weddings into a road trip along the Pacific Northwest for our big trip of 2010.  We need to go to Florida to see B's grandparents.  We will continue contributing monthly to IRAs, 501Ks and 529s.  And we'd like to start stocking away extra money every month for the specific purpose of seeing if we're ready to handle a mortgage upgrade.

So, we've cut most of our discretionary spending in order to fulfill our savings goals.  You can read more about our budget categories here and budget cuts after Thomas was born here.  Changes for 2011 include:

Car Payment.  We don't have this category anymore!  Yippee.

Life Insurance.  We added policies a year ago.

Diapers. I overbudgeted for diapers when I budgeted $75 a month (And that was a drastic cut from the $200 I originally - in a budget panic the day I found out I was pregnant - budgeted for diapering a baby - we spend $40 max each month.)

Food. We knocked the eating out budget down $25 a month and upped the grocery budget by the same to account for baby food.  That's currently a lot more than we spend, but Thomas will eat more someday.  I'm keeping costs super low by making my own baby food with organic produce.

Clothing.  We currently aren't budgeting for clothing for me and B and are keeping the budget small for Thomas.  B and I have too many clothes as it is, most of them are in good shape, and we need to get rid of lots before we can bring more in.  It's going to be a year of thriftiness for clothing.  Yikes.

Spending money.  B and I used to each get a significant monthly "allowance".  We cut it down a ton when we found out I was pregnant to allow for our one income goal to come to fruition sooner rather than later.  Damn priorities.  But, we decided to cut the spending allowance even more - we have some big dreams for the next couple years and decided that we could sacrifice lunches out during the work week for savings towards our more short-term goals (501K, IRA and 529 savings are already accounted for in our budget, but some more short-term desires weren't).

It's going to be a tight year, by choice, and it's going to take dedication to stick to it.  But I think we're determined to live even more frugally and save every extra penny.  Any budgets getting started in 2011? Anyone revamping theirs for the New Year?

19 comments:

  1. way to go Emily! We haven't quite made it to the "we don't need at least half of my income" yet. But we are working on it. MR.P switched jobs about 1.5 years ago...so we kind of started over. Oh well! He's got the perfect job for him, so it's worth it to make less. Love when you blog about budgeting. It's encouraging me to stick with ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that you are able to live on Mr. B's salary and use yours for saving goals.

    For us, 2011 is the year of attacking our student loan debt, which is resulting in a major budget lockdown. We also wildly overspent in November-December. I'm looking forward to the fresh start of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this! partially based on your previous posts on the system, we started it in may of last year (weird to say that!). it's worked great so far and we've saved a ton! i thought it would be so much harder than it actually was. makes waiting and anticipating buying something that much better.

    and i seriously could have written the same exact words about nov and dec, and how we fell off the wagon a bit, down to the stupid amazon purchases!

    but i think you're doing great - and i'm sure it will be well worth it to be thrifty this year, and life out your dreams in the days to come! it's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, were you able to use this system while pregnant? I'm looking into doing something like this but I'm so overwhelmed with what needs to come out of pocket in the next few months. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions, if you have the time! Thanks, Lindsay lindsaywillman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the money situation. I kind of wish it would go away entirely. Ugh.

    But my big goal for us is to pay down some of our debt in 2011. It's going to be hard with us only having Justin's income, but I definitely think there are ways for us to cut back even more. Maybe implementing the envelope system for things like eating out are a good idea. It's so easy to say, "Oh, let's get pizza tonight. I'm craving pizza" when maybe doing so isn't the smartest idea monetarily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Budget, whats that???? We are awful when it comes to budgeting. This year I hope to get better and that my hubby will jump on the Dave Ramsey plan with me because if we both arent on the same page it doesnt work. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just cut back a ton as well. We are hoping to remodel our kitchen and then take all the trips we would like to take before babies! It takes diligence, but the end result is always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when you post about budgeting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 18 months of living! Oh my!! That would be almost 100k for our family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are continuing with our budget this year. It's hard because we want to do all that stuff too--529 and retirement contributions and whatnot--but right now all this intense budgeting is just enough to pay our expenses. But that situation will hopefully change soon, and then we can use our new budgeting skills to be more thoughtful about how we allocate our incomes. So it's a good thing, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower over from Bower Power. We have been thinking about a road trip to the Pacific Northwest as well (we're in Silicon Valley) - I hope this is the year we do it!

    And definitely thriftiness in clothes for me this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is inspiring, Emily! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you about falling off the budgeting wagon. I have not been faithfully taking cash out for months and it shows. Way to get yourself back on track. I am hoping that I will be able to do the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a lot of us were slacking with our budgeting envelopes. I'm guilty as well. I hope to change that for good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You two are awesome. This is going to be the year that we are back to living on one income. Hallelujah. We let ourselves get away from it while we were paying for part of my schooling. Can't wait for the end of that.

    I'm sorry, making this all about me. Isn't that typical?

    Good luck this year. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are very inspiring! I need to get my booty in gear and really get frugal in '11. I'll be coming back here to get more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you make budgeting sound fun and easy?! I'm sure you don't feel that way but it seems like you have it all organized and well planned. If you hosted a financial seminar and had one of those odd radio ads- I would still come (maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am new to your blog but now check on it daily. I am interested in many trying the envelope system. Did you just start with a few catagories when you started? Or do all the catagories right from the start? Could you do a little post on getting started?

    Cheers from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very impressive and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete