Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Our Last Car Payment

Mr. B and I have done a lot of financial soul searching since the fall of 2008 when the economy became visibly awful.  Only months before my layoff that scared us into budgeting, though, we'd taken on our first car payment - traded Mr. B's fully paid for (but questionably operating) Honda Accord for a new small SUV.  We were bright eyed and bushy tailed DINKs and didn't think twice about having a car payment and thought it was the smarter choice rather than putting a sizable dent in our savings account to pay cash.

I quickly came to hate that car payment.  Interest and pay-off quotes, a penalty for early payment - it all made my head spin.  We talked many times about just making the savings transfer and being done with it, but there's just something about withdrawing from savings that causes our hearts to drop. Then Leah (literally, within days of my being laid off) linked to Dave Ramsey's car philosophy and it just clicked with me.  It took us until the next summer to put it into action, but we decided we'd pay B's new car down aggressively and save specifically to replace my 2 door VW Beetle with a family friendly car down the road.

Within minutes of starting to save to replace my car in the next few years we found out Little Tom was on his way and ramped up the car savings.  We went from putting a moderate set amount each month into the "Car Savings Fund" to putting as much savings as possible after retirement contributions and every bonus into the car fund and within seven months we paid cash for my new to me car.

I set a goal of saving to pay off B's car by Tommy's first birthday (about 3 years early), but when we calculated the daily interest we're paying, we just decided to be done with it.  So, last week we used the excess from the car savings fund and a transfer from savings to pay off the you-can-take-the-kids-out-of-Boulder-but-you-can't-take-Boulder-out-of-the-kids Subaru.  And it was liberating.  Our final car payment.

We will continue to fund a car fund - though not as aggressively - for repairs and replacement down the road, but so long car payment.  Our main priority right now is to take excellent care of our cars so that we won't be replacing them anytime soon - between the two of us we can transport an entire soccer team, so room won't be an issue for years to come.

17 comments:

  1. good for you!! i love your savings/payment philosophy. we are working out a way to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We haven't had a car payment in years and it feels wonderful. (So does paying for your "new" wheels completely out of your own account.) Way to think ahead and take responsibility for the financial direction of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news! We have one payment and are on track to get it paid off early, then save save save for a new to me vehicle. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, what a wonderful accomplishment! We're followers of Dave Ramsey's financial plans/goals/steps so I commend you on this. Great job! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em, that is great! You guys are so good at budgeting that it blows me away. Man do I miss being DINKs. Right now we are missing the DI part and by the time we get it back we will be permanently without the NK part. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!!

    I was, thankfully, gifted my first car and am now making car payments for the first time (bought my new Honda Element in August). Before I heard of Dave Ramsey, I was just going to make my payments and let the term of the loan playout (my only debts are my car and mortgage), but now I'm thinking of being more aggressive with the car loan.

    I hope I can join your little club soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! I love this concept. We haven't had a car payment in at least three years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome, Emily. Congrats! I'll bet that was such a great feeling. We are working towards that on my car, too. Ryan was able to pay for his car and work truck in cash. That was such a wonderful feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I'm so impressed with all the thought and planning you guys put into this. Both our cars are on their last legs, but they are paid off so we really want to avoid having to buy one. And um...early pay off fee? Obnoxious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for you! I only have two payments left on my car and David has 4. We are keeping those bad boys til they cease to operate. Having close to $750 a month extra will help pay off our master's and save for a future child. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are going to an all cash budget this month and i am so nervous! any advice you have would be so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh congrats. I started laughing when I read this post because Charlie and I just had a conversation two night ago about paying off the Jeep. I'd love to do it but I start to hyperventilate when I think about that huge chunk of money coming out of savings. We'll see ...

    PS I feel like it's pretty much a requirement, growing up in Colorado, that you own a Subaru.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice, i loved mailing in our last car payment - it was so sweet getting the titles in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LMAO @ "you-can-take-the-kids-out-of-Boulder-but-you-can't-take-Boulder-out-of-the-kids Subaru"! I love you!

    Girl, I 100% agree!! I never understand when people who tell me they're broke go & buy a brand new car. The minute you drive that thing off the lot, it loses its value & you lose $$ every month. I am SO proud of you & B for prioritizing & paying it all off!!

    Hugs,
    FC
    proud owner of a 2002 Subaru Forrester......from Boulder

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a Dave Ramsey follower too!

    Ever since I got debt-free in April I've listened to his (free) podcasts every day to stay motivated.

    ReplyDelete