I purged:
1 old hairspray
1 old nail polish remover
1 pair of crutches (this is not a challenge, universe. I need both my feet working, thank you.)
1 folding screen
1 container store box that was filled with melted wax. Awesome.
12 old Bath products that make my excema mad.
10 books
3 Computer software cds and their boxes
And this dresser and no-longer-working TV from previously unseen (because it's hid-e-ous) no-man's corner of our bedroom:
Oh, the things I have planned for you, corner.
I was just going to toss the dresser to the curb for today's trash pick-up. And then I thought, let's see if I can sell it on Craigslist. So I listed it for $10, and got four calls immediately. First person to my house bought it for $10 and I was hooked.
So, I weeded through my pile of clothes. A lot of it is pretty bad - stained or shurnken or just so old it's not even worth it. But I pulled out 30 of my best pieces - all J.Crew, Gap, Anthropologie or Polo and took them to our local consignment store...where I was told "We don't buy J.Crew, Polo or Gap. You might want to try Buffalo Exchange. They accept more professional pieces." Apparently I'm not trendy enough for my zip code. Seeing as how the Buffalo Exchange is a good 30 minutes away, I think I'll donate them. While wearing my stodgy conservative clothes and pearls, of course.
So, the grand total of things purged: 246. Not too shabby. Thanks for hosting this challenge, Jenny. I didn't think I had a lot of excess, but apparently that was not the case. Mr. B's ready for me to stop getting rid of things - but I think I'll continue with our kitchen cabinets. And then I need to do a deep clean of every room in our house. Anyone want to host that challenge to hold me accountable? :)
Link up with Jenny's challenge - it's been so fun, thanks to everyone who participated!




Emily, great job! I too was rejected at a consignment store - what is it with the snooty people who open a consignment shop? :-) I need a cleaning challenge too - I am thinking maybe a spring cleaning challenge in March or April?
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I was told mine were far too "professional" to be bought--when I looked around I could tell that was true...aberecrombie and american eagle infiltrated the place.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
ReplyDeleteWe MUST have a deep cleaning challenge! I really want to work on deep cleaning, but I need a challenge so I'll actually get it done.
Gap and J Crew rejected at the consigment store??? What exactly are these people looking for?? Hmmm, I must be getting older . . . =)
ReplyDeleteI also thoroughly enjoyed this purging journey. I'm impressed at your total of 246!
Great job!! I like the cleaning challenge idea...I might just join you on that one.
ReplyDeleteI just took clothes to a consignment store, but she liked them all, fortunately. A few years ago I took my kids clothes to a children's consignment store and was told nothing I had was good enough. So what if it was cute, it was from Target!
So weird about the consignment shop! I know my sister's shop takes everything from Wal-Mart to Target to Seven...but they are THRILLED when they get classic quality stuff from JCrew, etc.
ReplyDeleteWoo for paring down!
Thanks for the weekly motivation! I'm finally caught up..for today!
ReplyDeleteOne more day to go!
http://alikelystory.blogs.com/a_likely_story/2011/01/111-things-in-111.html
Wow, the nerve of the consignment shop :) You could always send your leftovers to me, I'm not to good for a hand me down. Thanks for sharing your purge.
ReplyDeleteI want to know more about the random box, you should have taken a photo of that. :)
ReplyDeletewow, amazing amount of purging! must feel great!!! :) and i can't wait to see what that corner holds - we have way too many like that and you're always the best source of inspiration!
ReplyDeleteps - ridic about the consignment store. i am totally intimidated by those anyway - they are so condescending! you just buy back used clothes, lady! who do you think you are??
246? You are amazing! Great job with this. You did awesome.
ReplyDeleteI love Craigslist :) I am a new follower!
ReplyDeletehttp://lifeofemilyschmitz.blogspot.com/
I'm with ya, I'm not done at all. I've got about 3 more rooms I could go through. And dude, we have a consignment store up the street that is trying to be all snooty but their store looks like am episode of hoarders. Yeah um no thanks.
ReplyDeleteI was rejected when I tried to sell my clothes too. Most of them were American Eagle and they turned me away. So lame.
ReplyDelete