Pin It button on image hover

Friday, January 14, 2011

January Pare Down - Week 2

This week, B and I attacked our closet. I wasn't expecting B to participate, but he did well. As I was looking at his pile of 10 polo shirts somewhat exasperated B said, "Em, give me some credit, this is big for me. I'm kind of a hoarder". Acknowledgement is step one.

I was ruthless with my closet. I have a lot of clothes and I wear the same few items all the time. Isn't that the case with almost everyone? So, I put only the clothes I wear weekly back in my closet - and a few dress clothes. I got rid of everything I don't love. And summer clothes will be stored in the guest closet once that's cleaned out.

Here's a before...


And after we cleared out 93 things to Donate or Toss:


Mr. B's half of the closet looking the best it's looked since we moved into the house over three years ago:


And my half:



And here's our pile of 93 items of clothing (with a few accessories mixed in).  71 came from my half, 22 from B's.  Not bad at all.


Head on over to Words on Wendhurst to see what everyone else got rid of this week!

14 comments:

  1. I need to really do this with the closets in our master bedroom. I am the same way... I have a lot of clothes but only wear the same handful all the time.

    Great job and your closet looks very organized and more open now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really need to have a polo shirt intervention with John. He's got about 150 of them (or maybe 30) and he'd be glad to wear them with wonky collars and weird stains...all things he doesn't ever see.

    I'm pretty jealous of your closet. If I had all that room, I'd be inclined to fill it up more though, not empty it out. So, you are clearly a better person than I.

    How's that baby doing??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome purge. Thanks for being a part of this - you are making such great progress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. I'm just purged in the fall, but I already feel like I need to purge clothes again. Just get rid of the crap I don't wear. Your closet looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO impressed! Wow! Clothing is one thing that's hard for me to get rid of . . . especially since I semi-regularly 'rediscover' items that I may not have worn for a year or two but that become my new favorites. This weekend I'm starting my 3rd January purge (I'm doing chunks of 30 things at a time) and I hope to make some progress in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a ton of clothes but really only wear the same handful. I took a huge amount to a consignment shop awhile back (this one cuts you a check), but I really think I need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to do this too. But first I have to give birth, get out of maternity clothes, and then see which of my regular clothes I gravitate toward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Em, your closet looks so great! Good job on decluttering.

    How about doing a post on Thomas? I wanna see pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your closet is huge....lucky! I love your jackets, especially the 3/4 length looking one. I need to clean my clothes out- I have some from high school....not that I can fit in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my husband is the same way. I would love to get in his closet and clean it out. I seriously think it would be funny as I am sure he has some things from the 80's in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your closet! I'm so jealous! I've been dreading cleaning ours out, but you did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see gaps in that closet! I think we need to go thrifting... ;)
    10 husband points for B. Can I award them even if I'm not married to him? I was pretty stoked with the contribution of a pair of PJ pants from my other half.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha i love that b is a hoarder! :)

    i'm seriously jealous about the ginormousness of your closet. ours is pathetic! great job on getting rid of all that! i'm still clinging onto clothes that are my skinny clothes - so can't quite get rid of them!

    i heard an interesting tip once - real simple i think - that when you get out your new season's clothes, hang all of the hangers backwards - hook out - and as you wear/wash/rehang an item, hang it back regular. at the end of the season, you can just look at the hangers to tell what you wore and what you never wore.

    i wear the same clothes constantly too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so need to do this! Our closet is overflowing with things we do not wear anymore. But for some reason it is really hard for me to get rid of clothes. I just need to get in there are start purging with you as my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete