Here's our brown and white bedroom:
Not terrible, just not va-va-voom. I still like this velvet duvet. But I've been timidly looking for something a little more fun.
I was at HomeGoods earlier this week looking for a fruit basket for my countertops. The things we make trips across town for, but I'd had an emotional weekend and thought that after refraining from writing snarky tweets and/or emails about it I deserved a long drive to buy a container for fruit. And the fruit basket quest was unsuccessful, but as I was wandering the aisles, I couldn't stop looking at a King sized quilt. It was just speaking to me. It was the kind of thing I'd normally say was too loud or colorful. Definitely too feminine for my house full of McKevitt men. But I loved it.
I'm in love - ties in the silver sage of our bedroom with the chartreuse all over the main floor. Adds life. Adds spice. And I like that it's a quilt - something a little different for our room. B says he fine with it, but I can tell it's not his favorite. I try so hard to keep things streamlined and masculine around here for the Electrical Engineer I married. But every now and then, a girl needs some pretty. So the verdict's still out on whether it will stay...I always say B has full veto power, but this time I'm wishing I hadn't made that declaration.
I love that the quilt is backed in a geometric green.
It's like it belongs with my slipcovered ottoman in the living room, coordinating but not matchy-matchy. Just how I like my life.
So, whether or not the quilt stays, I need a little more bedroom help. The kind I can't find in Cosmo. What do I put above the bed? The frames are a placeholder and I know I don't want to do more frames - I want dimension. Rectangular headboard, rectangular mirrors. I need curves.
A sunburst mirror is not an option, I just don't love them enough. I've considered a cardboard moose head because I live in Coloardo and think it would be awesome, but is that done? Or too much?
A fabulous monogram a la Kim?
Other ideas (aside from the oft-suggested sunburst mirror)? I need your help! Thoughts on the bedding? Loving it like me or liking the subdued brown and white masculinity that Mr. B is comfortable with? Sound off!





I really like what you have done. The comforter is really fun. I would for sure add some accent/throw pillows... maybe in some nice shades of Blue and Gray tones with pops of yellow. Maybe find some drum shades for your bedside lamps... they will help with adding a little masculinity, while still keeping it neutral.
ReplyDeleteFor above the bed I would get some large frames [Think 12x12] and either put some photos in them or fill them with natural elements [fabric/patterned paper]?
Happy Friday! :)
A monogram would look so fantastic. Not sure why, but I think it would bring everything currently in the room together!
ReplyDeleteI love that quilt! You're not the only one who drives across town to get the "necessities" of life. Back at Christmas I drove way too far and spent too much time in line getting a hand towel tray (I have no clue what the technical term is) for our bathroom because I wanted it for our guests.
ReplyDeleteI hope your week/weekend get better and are drama-free!
i LOVE the quilt! but of course, I'm sure you knew that!
ReplyDeletebefore i even saw your ideas (the monogram) I was thinking some type of vinyl wall art-cherry blossom branch, scrolls, something like that. I like the monogram, i agree, it would tie the strong lines with the softer floral together nicely!
and yes to the throw pillow ideas
ReplyDeleteI love the new comforter. Maybe you could have it out for spring and summer, and then switch back to the velvet one for fall and winter? Just add some colorful pillows with the velvet, and it will give it some pop. For above the bed, what about a wall graphic like Kim has, but more like what Freckles Chick did? Something very asymmetrical and natural?
ReplyDeleteI love it. I too want to spice up our bedroom, but am having a hard time finding something that the mister and I can agree on. That and we painted accent walls a rusty orange and that is a hard color to coordinate with. The geometric pattern is an awesome balance to the the floral. So springy and fresh.
ReplyDeleteI agree that a branch vinyl or painted motif with some dimensional objects hung over or "hanging" from the branch would be fun.
I'm going with the masses: go with a monogram! You could also go with round frames, if you decide you do want some art of photos up there.
ReplyDeleteAlso, LOVE Jenny's idea of doing the velvet comforter in the fall and winter and the new one for the spring and summer. I think that's a FABULOUS idea!
What if you flipped the quilt so the geometric pattern was on top and the floral was more of an "accent?" Maybe that would make it a little more masculine?
ReplyDeleteWe have a wall quote above our bed- "Forever, for always and no matter what" which I got from wallquotes.com (with a 15% YHL discount- yay!). We have rectangular pics flanking our bed much like your mirrors, and I like the scroll-y print of the quote to soften it up a bit- the quote is almost the same width as our queen sized bed. The people at wallquotes.com are really awesome to work with, so I bet they could help you come up with something! Another one to try (if you decide to go the wall graphic route) is leenthegraphicsqueen.com
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
I like the comforter too, but would have the same issue in our house with it being too girlie for Justin.
ReplyDeleteI'll be honest--I don't love the moose head idea, but that's probably because all my friends and I are constantly fighting to keep real animal busts off our walls.
I think some sort of plate wall art could be fun, but it probably doesn't make sense in a bedroom. Plus, I'd be worried about plates falling on my head while *ahem*.
No mirrors, you've got two on each side of the bed already and it looks lovely. I adore the new quilt! I'm in the mood for something new as well, but with the baby due any day a king-sized makeover just isn't in the cards.
ReplyDeleteYou need something 3-d and horizontal...maybe a piece of driftwood or a grapevine swag. A monogram would be nice too, but not a quote. IMO, there's not enough wallspace above the headboard to support it. Monograms are timeless, but quotes become dated.
I like both looks. I think you could really make the fun quilt work.
ReplyDeleteIf it were me, I would keep the quilt and the add back in the velvet shams (or a brown that isn't velvet) behind the new shams and then add an accent pillow that is brown with a white single monogram. (easy diy project)
Then add the brown quilt down at the bottom like in the first pic to ground everything. It will still be fun and bright with a nice manly brown.
If the brown doesn't work you could use a different color, I was just trying to use what you already have.
As for over the bed, i think Jenny has a great idea, but I also like the moose head, or some frames that are much larger.
love the quilt. it's so hard to find king size quilts that aren't a million dollars. i've been looking for about 3 years. can't help with with something over the bed though. everything i can think of has 90 degree corners.
ReplyDeleteDang that Sarah Richardson - the same thing is happening to me! I love the quilt. Here's my idea - but take it for what it is worth. What if you put pictures of the bed, but got bigger frames? Then, switched out the rectangular mirrors for something oval. I'm sure you could find another place for the mirrors? Just an idea.
ReplyDeleteLove the new quilt and that it matches your ottomon even thought they aren't in the same room. I agree you need something with some curves and like the monogram or dimensional art...but not the moosehead ;)
ReplyDeletei second nikki above - who says you can't do both? use either the printed quilt or brown duvet, then fold the other at the foot of the bed. add in some solid shams with the print, and it'll tone down the girliness while keeping the festiveness.
ReplyDeletethe moose head would be lots of fun, and if you get tired of it, so what, it's cardboard! like the monogram too, but prefer that for a pillow on the bed.
I like mixing and matching the bedding :) I think a pretty oval mirror would be fun--if you could find a cheap wicker/rattan framed one, you could spray paint it a bold color that is in the bedspread...so fun!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you inspired me to start sewing, so I sewed curtains this weekend...LOVE them! I saw your slipcover and "gasped" ha...how did you learn to do that? I would love to know how to do more...slipcovers, bench cushions, etc.
ReplyDeleteI love the quilt! B just needs to deal. You can always pull the brown duvet out for fall/winter. The colors in the quilt are the ones I love and have all over my house, but in the colder months it doesn't feel warm and cozy. Over the bed? What about something with salvaged boards? It would make me think of a log cabin feel, which I think is CO-like. The moose head seems out of scale? And would be a pain to dust. ( I think)
ReplyDeleteSomething like this? http://laurenmakes.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/happy-hearts-day/
It's a keeper!
ReplyDeleteFunny, I was at Home Goods several weeks back and took a picture of a vase...and never sent it to you!
Gonna tweet that now :-)
I love it! Keep everything, but change the headboard to a {velvety?} dark blue pulled from the comforter.
ReplyDeleteMost of our house is fairly neutral with masculine colors but in the bedroom I went totally girly and shabby chic. The husband can live with it. :-D I absolutely adore the quilt set you found and think it looks great. Above the bed I was thinking a silver gilt framed mirror flanked by candle sconces.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the quilt! This post is so inspiring - our bedroom/office needs some help and I've been searching bedding too. Like you I try to keep it fairly neutral, but I'm really wanting something FANCY. And likely husband-unfriendly! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with everyone above - I think a monogram would be fun. And easily changed, when you're bored.
The bedding is gorgeous, love it.
ReplyDeleteGlad I came across your blog. You have a new follower.
Love the colors in the quilt. I think your hubby would like it better if you folded it back so that the geometric print showed and maybe pair it with some crisp white sheets and a few toss pillows. At the end of the be you could put a solid throw in a blue tone so it wouldnt feel quite so feminine, just a thought. For above your bed I really like the monogram idea. Take my opinons with a grain of salt, my bedroom redo isnt even done yet.
ReplyDeleteI'm just here to read other people's opinions and nod heartily at some and shake my head no no no at others. No original thoughts here! Anyway, I too think it might look good to switch up the pattern by flipping the quilt. And someone somewhere up there suggested driftwood. I like that idea a lot, maybe something long and white? I think the pattern is so busy, you just need something simple up that way.
ReplyDeleteI picked up some Moroccan sconces for above my bed - curvy but I wouldn't say feminine because of the rough material and bold lines. That style might be not clean/geometrical enough for your tastes though. Id like to enter a nay on the monogram proposal, personally. It can be a pretty design but I get a little freaked out by seeing my own name so close to my head all night every night. Maybe different text would work, but that's just me :-) to each his own.
ReplyDeleteI really like the bedding. I think it's perfect for the upcoming spring and that geometric pattern? Made for you. B will be ok. I'm about to change our duvet over to a floral and Stephen is just going to have to get over it. Girls do need some pretty in their lives.
ReplyDeleteAnd the cardboard moose appeals to my sense of the ridiculous. I love it. Just sayin'. And besides, you ARE in Colorado. ;)
I love it! It is great for spring. You can trade it out with the brown in the winter months.
ReplyDeleteSorry that I suck at commenting. Thanks for the shout-out about my bed 'art.' I haven't gotten tired of it yet, so that's a good sign.
ReplyDeleteI really like new quilt a lot. What does B think of it? Ryan's pretty open to any type of fabrics, he doesn't complain about things being too feminine, but I have a friend who's husband vetoes anything with florals. WTH? Just wondering about your guy. Although the colors of the quilt make it seem less frilly and more organic. Very pretty! Really brightened up the room. Great find.
Happy Tuesday!
i love that quilt! a lot in our house is brown and tan and cream, and i'm about sick of it. i think it's girly, sure, but it's still not pink and ruffly. i say at least bargain with him that it's for spring at the least if he chooses to veto :)
ReplyDeletei have seen some fused metal type sculpture wall art things (that's the official name) recently that i think would be really cool - but might not fit in with the rest of the room's feel.... and those are expensive!
I tried to find it somewhere on your blog, but no luck... what is your bedroom wall color?
ReplyDeleteI love the new quilt - really brightens up the room with pops of color. I think my soon to be hubby would be OK with this - but he'd never let a floral print into the living room!
ReplyDeleteI think this floral light from Horchow would be perfect.
ReplyDeleteIts the perfect length and just the right amount of texture you need. Also would bring out the brass nailheasds on the bed. And hey, a little lighting to set the mood never hurts!!!
Although your husband might be against the additional flowers!
http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod47260076&eItemId=cprod47260076&cmCat=search&searchType=MAIN&parentId=&icid=&rte=%252Fsearch.jhtml%253FN%253D0%2526Ntt%253Dfloral%252Blight%2526_requestid%2http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod47260076&eItemId=cprod47260076&cmCat=search&searchType=MAIN&parentId=&icid=&rte=%252Fsearch.jhtml%253FN%253D0%2526Ntt%253Dfloral%252Blight%2526_requestid%253D450953D4509