Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shorn

I couldn't take it anymore.  My hair that is.  Every 9 months to a year I feel compelled to get a REAL haircut, and then I let my hair grow for months until I need to chop it again.  I hop around based on people I know, reccomendations, you know the drill.  But I've found my golden ticket now (thanks to this Emily - I have two best friends named Emily and I am also Emily...there are 3 of us.  I know it's confusing).  In the middle of a particularly frustrating hair day, I called up the salon I'd visited in August for a trim and asked for an appointment with Colleen, knowing that she books out about 4 - 6 weeks at a time.  She'd had a cancellation (thanks to a balmy high of -7) and could get me in the next morning.  Sweet.

Warning: Cell phone quality photos ahead.


I was frustrated with my hair - dry and long dragging me down.  But I didn't want a mom haircut, either.  So I chatted with Colleen and we decided that we'd go just a hair (no pun intended) longer than shoulder length.  Colleen refuses to cut my hair shorter than shoulder length because it's too thick and will triangle out.  I love that about her.  9.5 inches later, my face feels so much lighter.  Interestingly, I've gained a pound since shedding a normal person's headfull of hair.  I blame the girl scouts.



And now I'm totally ready for spring.  Anyone else?

23 comments:

  1. I had these very thoughts this morning except mine is short - not long like yours. I love yours - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! It seems like I have to grow mine out for weddings (year before it was a friend's, last year mine, this year it's another friend's) then two weeks after the event I have it chopped off again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!!! My hair is about as long as yours in your 'before' photo and I have an appointment this afternoon to get it trimmed by a friend. I like my hair long and plan on keep growing it out but I think it's been about 9 embarassing months since I've had it cut. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same issues with thick hair. It really just doesn't work well when it's short.

    I LOVE this cut on you...I think it's the perfect length!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute hair! Love the new cut. I'm jealous of your thick hair! Mine is super fine, so I have the opposite problem... when I grow it out, it gets all straggly and thin. But I think shoulder length is pretty universally flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I have found I need a 48 hour waiting period before I do anything to my hair! LOL! Otherwise I do things I regret. Like go dark and get bangs.....right before Christmas. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a GREAT length for your hair--looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. Were you able to donate to Locks of Love?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in the same boat as your right now and am trying to make my first appt since July :O and I was considering cutting it myself (which I have done before) b/c it is so dry and icky. I love your new look

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great! def NOT a mom cut!

    and i feel like i've said this too many times before - but i totally could have written this post! i was just complaining yesterday about how my long hair was driving me nuts. maybe i'll follow your lead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous hair! love it!

    i like your bag :) I like that it shows up every once in a while so I know that you really like it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it -it looks fantastic on you! So does your adorable cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, I love it. You look pretty in both pictures of course, but I really like the shorter hair on you. I just got bangs which is kind of a big deal in my neck of the woods. And, spring? Yes please.

    (PS I totally laughed at "I blame the Girl Scouts.' Cracking me up.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those Girl Scouts are dangerous. You really have to watch out for them. Your hair looks great! I'm glad Colleen refuses to allow her clients to have triangle head!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look BEAUTIFUL! So perfect for spring!!!

    The lady at my office was collecting cookie money for her daughter yesterday and I had the second highest bill. I plan on gaining at least 5 pounds in cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreed! Though we're not quite as bad as -7 in Connecticut!

    Also - Three of my best friends are named Sarah. It gets very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, Love it, Love it!!

    Looks like you got the Sexy Hottie haircut!

    So adorable, Emily. What does B think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a big change! You look great in both photos but younger and hipper in the post photo. I also have super thick hair, and hate it! It is such a pain. I feel like you can't go too short or it poofs but too long is heavy both in looks and weight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Looks fantastic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do the same thing, going long amounts of time between haircuts. Yours looks so cute. I love it.

    ReplyDelete