Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I Once Had a Girl Who Rearranged Furniture On Stage

Name that movie.  Caroline was up yesterday hanging out with Thomas while I had a work meeting on a non-daycare day.  This has become an almost weekly occurrence, and after my meeting Caroline and I run errands and critique and rearrange furniture in each other's houses.  I'm quick to give Caroline opinions like, "1972 wants the wood paneling in your family room back, Mom." and then she says "Your couch looks terrible in front of the sliding glass doors, I like it better on the other side of the room".  That's just how Caroline and I work - we rearrange furniture for fun, and often put it right back where it started.  We've been known to rearrange seating areas in churches to make them more conducive to conversation.  We're a handful. 

Living Room with Couch in front of Sliding Doors at the back of the house

So, after months of dismissing my mom's couch placement preference for my house - beause it's my house and I preferred the sofa where it was - she caught me in a weak moment and I agreed to switch things around.  And we didn't stop at the sofa.  We moved the secretary that had been hanging out in the corner of the dining room (shown in the picture above) closer to the sofa.  And I'm not going to lie to you.  I kind of love the new arrangement. 


Yes, I am fully aware that the rug is too small for the room.  I'm saving my pennies, the budget doesn't allow for impulse buys.  One day, the ottoman coffee table will not be on an island.


The secretary was my 10th birthday gift.  I wanted a desk, so my mom and I went antiquing every weekend until we found this one.  It once held my Casio Secret Diary and Babysitter's Club books.  Now it holds our wedding china, B's grandparents' cake servers we used at our wedding, Thomas's silver cup and rattle and my beloved gurgle pot.  Oh maturity.




I love that my mom raised me to rearrange furniture.  I love the new arrangement.  You were right, Caroline.  For now.

16 comments:

  1. The new arrangement looks great! The secretary desk movement is my favorite and I love the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new arrangement looks nice. I like getting a new look without spending any money!

    The desk is beautiful.You were a smart girl with good taste at 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your Miss Congeniality quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We rearrange furniture over here quite often too. Sometime last week, we tried five or six different arrangements and ended up right back where we started.

    I really like the secretary there--it's kind of cozy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this layout! I like that it opens up to the sliding doors more now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a few years ago my mom took it upon herself to rearrange the huge Duke Hospital ICU waiting room overnight while she was staying with my grandma. she thought the chairs should be conducive for conversation, some by the tvs, and the tables to the sides for food. 5 years later and it is STILL the exact same way she left it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have to admit it! she was right! it does look great!

    sometimes it really helps to have a fresh pair of eyes. i get so used to seeing my stuff where it is, i have a hard time envisioning it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the new arrangement. we just bought a new house and many arguments have ensued over furniture placement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the new furniture arrangement! Also, you got a secretariat for your tenth birthday?? THAT IS SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had better taste at 10 then I have now. I like the new arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Emily! I think it really opens up the space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great. I love that you and your mom have such a great relationship - and I would love to see you two being a handful. I can imagine it. ;)

    Is Caroline getting rid of the paneling? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yeah. And I loved the Babysitter's Club. It's ridiculous, but I collected the books when my brother collected baseball cards. I think I ended up with 1-104, plus some of the super specials. It was the first sign of my OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious, my mother & I also have the same compulsive urge to rearrange furniture. My father has been known to come home in the middle of the night after shift and trip over the newly arranged furniture. Now that I've moved out of home, I often get a call to drop by after work to assist in some form of furniture movement. Carry on the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the new arrangement and the secretary is beautiful. I long to have amazing furniture like that in my home some day.

    ReplyDelete