Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Not Even Semi-Homemade Chili Taco Casserole

Need a quick, easy, cheap and yummy dinner idea? That's pretty much the name of the game around here.  I was craving tacos last week but didn't want to go to the store for the ingredients.  But I did have:

half a bag of cheddar cheese
a can of turkey chili (you'll want 2 cans, but I wasn't going to the grocery store)
a can of green chiles
taco seasoning
tortilla chips
lettuce
tomatoes
sour cream
salsa


Now, you're going to want to get out your notepads for this mindblowingly complicated process.


Dump the chili, chiles and half of the taco seasoning into a baking dish.  Top with cheese.  Crumple tortilla chips on top. Put in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes until it looks like this (feel free to spread your chips and cheese more evenly across the top of your really fancy homemade meal if you are more into perfection than I am):


Serve alone or over more chips (at which point this becomes a glorified nacho recipe) and top with whatever you desire - salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream.  Add a salad and pretend you made dinner. 



Now, let's be honest.  Presentation wise, this probably isn't going to be a knock-your-socks-off meal that you want to serve to guests.  But it's yummy and perfect for your own family.  I'm picturing it as a meal for one of those "What do you mean I have to take four kids to four different soccer practices, have a meeting with a client and have a meal on the table by 7?" kind of nights that I hope my future entails.  And, it would make an awesome dip for a party. And you probably have what you need in the pantry right now. 

6 comments:

  1. That would be really good over a bed of lettuce as a salad. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These types of meals are quite common AND Loukas over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.........I am the same way. Who cares what it looks like when it tastes good!

    If you like spinach these are delicious and SO easy to make:

    http://shoppingcandy.blogspot.com/2011/02/spinach-lasagna-rolls.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! I usually prefer simpler dinner in taste and time. I hate to spend an hour on dinner and then throw half of it away. (I'm talking to you, Pioneer Woman.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This "dump" recipe looks so easy and that you could alter it based on taste or what's in the house. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *furiously writing this all down*

    Hehe, let's face it, if it involves those ingredients, I'm eating it. And besides, as soon as you spoon up any casserole it ends up looking sloppy.

    ReplyDelete