Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cashew Chicken

I've been on the lookout for new recipes lately - I've been in a bit of a menu rut and want fresh options, and last week I found one.  Ready for a yummy, easy stir-fry?

Cashew Chicken, adapted from Martha Stewart.

 

For 4 servings you'll need:

1 turn of the pan cooking oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
About 1 pound of chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Salt and Pepper
8 scallions chopped (separate the white parts)
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
3/4 cup roasted cashews

For the sauce* you'll need:
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
A squeeze of honey
1 teaspoon chili paste
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
Dash of five spice seasoning (or red pepper flakes will do)
1/4 cup water

*Martha's recipe calls for 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce and 1/4 cup water, but I make this instead - it's really good and peanut free (hoisin sauce is iffy on peanuty-ness). But you can hoisin it up if peanuts aren't an issue for you.

Directions:
Saute the garlic in the oil until brown. Meanwhile, coat chicken in cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan and cook until it starts to brown. Add white parts of scallions and vinegar and cook until it evaporates (30 seconds). Add the sauce and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat, add green scallions and cashews. Serve immediately over rice. So yummy.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, Emily. Thanks for sharing.

    Do you think that chili powder would work? I don't have any paste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a rut too, thanks for posting! And, I am still in shock on the post below...no comment needed. Love the gallery wall and your new artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouthwatering. It's the cashews. You temptress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I would probably toss some water chestnuts into the mix too. I always order almond chicken from our Chinese place, this sounds close.

    ReplyDelete