Anyway - long story short, B and I had a barbecue on Friday night for everyone who came to town for the wedding. It was great to catch-up with everyone, it was a very fun weekend. Mr. B's best friend (Hi Matt!) hails from the Fraternity and he happens to be one of my favorite people ever - not just my favorite friend of B's. However. Another fraternity brothers walked into our house and immediately said, "B____, this is [expletive deleted to protect innocent eyes] suburbia". And as he turned the corner into the kitchen where Thomas was eating his dinner, Thomas held out his hand to give this new potential friend a high five - his newest trick of which he is very proud. And the frat brother? He snubbed Thomas and said to me, "I [expletive deleted] hate kids". Sweet, huh? It's fine if you don't have the same priorities in life as me, in fact, I think the best thing about life is that everyone can make choices based on what's best for them. But don't walk into my house and insult our life and our choices. It's not only rude, it's unacceptable.
So, after the boys all left for the night, on a "You know what, we're parents now and we are awesome parents and I'm going to flaunt it" kick, I opened Photoshop. [Let's pause for a moment to appreciate the fact that when someone pisses me off I turn to photoshop to art-up my mind rather than violence]. I saw this quote on Pinterest the other day and loved it, but framed typography is more my style than the plaque it was featured on. So I made my own. In my colors.
Now, I still personally don't want my house to look like a daycare center and I do pick up the toys every night before T goes to bed. I'm a big believer that kids can have too many toys. And seriously, give Thomas a spoon and a pan and he's happy as a clam. But, between the hours of 6:30 am and 6:30 pm, there will be toys scattered on the floor. Because Thomas and I play all day long. And sing along and off-key with the Raffi Pandora station. And do baby jazzercize. In our house that I adore in suburbia. And I'm, to take a word out of this particular young man's vocabulary, [expletive deleted] proud of that. I'm a [expletive deleted] awesome mom. Mmmmkay?





Wow! People have some nerve! It would have taken all that was in me not to reply with something equally as rude. Making a sign is much better. ;)
ReplyDeleteyou go, girl! i would have said something snarky back, you are much more dignified! and you have a beautiful life!
ReplyDeleteThat is shocking. I would have asked him to leave immediately so you are way more patient than me. Nobody, but nobody is welcome in our home if they are going to snub and insult the people who live there. Shame on him.
ReplyDeleteWOW. I am in shock that someone would come into your home and act that way. Was he drunk or what? So outside the realm of acceptable.
ReplyDeleteLove your response and the resulting print... well done.
How rude! You're better than me because I would have asked him to leave. LOVE the print and keep making memories.
ReplyDeleteWhat a jerk.
ReplyDeleteI love the new wall-art--perfect.
Baby Jazzercise? I want in.
How rude! I can't believe someone would come into your home and say that!
ReplyDeleteThe sign is super cute! (I like your version better than the original)
Way to stick up for suburbia and motherhood!
Man!!! What a jerkface!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed you didn't kick him in the pants. Because I would have!
Ok... that's not true. But I would have made an angry face at him and I'd have fantasized all night about politely asking him to leave.
So glad that you liked the pinterest quote! I love what you've done with it - especially the green. Just remember that you are much more evolved person that said fraternity friend - he obviously still has some growing to do before he should be released into public. But I do think it may be time for Mr. B to have a chat with friends about appropriate language in the house! You rock, momma! And you are making this world (and your home) a better place, which is more than we can say for that other guy.
ReplyDeletei get the suburbia comments, too. and they always annoy me. are you counting down to july 27th? i think i was more excited that they moved up the opening date than i was on my wedding day.
ReplyDeleteive met plenty of guys like that, and he's just honestly jealous that your husband met his wife, had a gorgeous kid, and is settled down in an amazing house. EVERY guy gets to the point one day where they want to settle down in "suburbia" and have a stable relationship with a women and kids. trust me, ive either polled or watched it play out with every single one of those guys i mentioned. homeboy is JEALOUSSSSSSS! as he should be, because you 2 have great things going for you!! rock on, i love that pic you made!
ReplyDeleteGo you! I would have said something to the tune of "Maybe next time you can host all these people for a BBQ at your awesome 750sf bachelor pad. And you're welcome!"
ReplyDeleteI agree with Carolina. Jealous.
ReplyDeleteWhat the (deleted) is wrong with that guy? You've got to wonder what is so wrong in his life, what he is so unhappy about that he acted like that. After you get your anger out on photoshop. I love that that is your anger management strategie. Your sign came out cute. And I love that you had a perfect frame on hand. I need to get better at stocking frames.
ReplyDeleteWhoa, what a totally rude dude!!
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't agree that every guy wants to get married, have kids and live in suburbia there is no need for those that don't want that lifestyle to be condescending and rude to those who do.
I was smitten with you & Thomas and your lovely house the second I met you, Emily! Oh, and Casco too! You guys are the sweetest, warmest family and obviously Mr. Frat Brother didn't realize just how special you 4 are.
I love your sign!! I'd take it one step futher and make enough to sell on Etsy :-)
What a d-bag! I agree with other posters. The dude is jealous.
ReplyDeleteI would have said to him..........did you really just say that? Seriously? Make him feel like the schmuck he is. Loser.
ReplyDelete