We have a weird side yard between us and our neighbors. It's about 50/50 in our neighborhood if people put up a fence or not in this unusable space. Almost everyone has thrown river rock down in the space. A few people have built sheds, but in general the space goes unused.
The reason for these awkward side yards? The alley garage that I love splits our properties in two. I love that we don't have snout houses in our neighborhood because the garages are out of sight. I love that the alleys get people outside and talking. But the awkward side yards are a drawback. Let me show you what I'm talking about:
Anyhow. We were going to put a fence up and build a path from gate to gate last summer and call it good. But then our neighbor's house went up for sale - they'd rented it illegally (rentals are only allowed for proven hardship and for a max of two years per our HOA rules) for four years and finally got caught. (I was 100% not the nark. For real. My nark days are over). In Denver, neighbors traditionally split the cost of fences. Fences are the norm here. And with no one next door, I didn't feel compelled to foot the entire bill.
Anyway, the house next door went up for sale, then went up listed as a short sale before going into foreclosure. B mowed the grass next door all last summer - when someone should have been mowing our grass while we were having babies and having their heads operated on. But I don't hold grudges. But I digress. In February our new neighbors moved in and they're awesome - happy hour kind of people with a little girl who has three days on Thomas and a really cool older son. We knew things were going to be good between us when B offered to help them move boxes and our neighbor said, "That'd be great. We don't have much, my wife's a total minimalist".
So as we were talking about putting a fence in, the neighbors said "Why don't we just make it a fun hang out instead of letting it go to waste - put in a little area for the kids and a patio for us?" Mr. B was sold at the mention of a tiki bar (which I vetoed). We consulted a Realtor who advised us to keep things separate enough that we can easily have two separate spaces for resale purposes. And a neighbor and friend is a landscape architect, so he drew up the design for us last week. And it's going to be awesome.
Here's what we have to work with:
The unpainted fence is ours. That's priority #1. There will be a river rock bed with aspen trees along the property lines (in lieu of a fence). We'll build a small patio with pavers that we can remove should we need to have completely separate spaces. And at the back of the yard:
We'll have the kids area (actually two) with rubber playground mulch. We're not doing anything extravagant - Thomas's sandbox will go on our side, maybe a Fisher Price slide on the other and a sail shade over the top for shade. We're all pretty excited about it - have I mentioned about 1,000 times how much we love our neighborhood?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Cool! I'm looking forward to the after pictures!
ReplyDeleteHa! I'd never heard the term "Snout House" before! They aren't very common here except in townhouses. Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great idea to have a combined space as the side yard, especially since you guys seem to get along great with your neighbors!
[ok i think i messed up my comment, so sorry if this is repetitive!]
ReplyDeletei love that you love your neighborhood! mine is all weirdos and i long for normal ones!
also, i think that's a great way to maximize previously wasted space. it looks to be closed off, so that's great that you will just be able to stick the kiddos in there and not worry about them (once t is older :) )
can't wait to see it!
I love your neighborhood. I want to move in next door! :) This is going to be a great before & after!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! We just started hanging out with two cool neighbor couples but we don't share any yard space- wish we did. Can't wait to see it come together.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a great use of the space! We have a similar spacing issue, but ours are much smaller - I think we have around 3ft between our alley-facing garages. I bet you guys are going to start a new trend in your neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteI love your neighborhood, too. Love. And this is going to be sahhweeet. Can't wait to see the progress.
ReplyDeleteI am glad someone else hates "snout houses." I hate having our garage unattached, but I like that our houses dont' just look like add-ons to the garage.
That was very cool of your husband to mow the house next door. The city will wait until you can practically make hay out of it. Love the shared space idea. There is nothing better than good nieghbors! Jennifer
ReplyDeleteHa, I had to look up the snout house too. You're right, they're kind of obnoxious looking. And have I mentioned 1000 times that I'm ready to move to the mountains to be your neighbor? I love your house set-up. I always kinda wondered what the alley you always talk about actually looked like. And this plan though sounds great, although who turns down a tiki bar?!?! Freaks.
ReplyDeleteThis is going to be a fun hangout spot and a great summer project. Look forward to seeing the transformation.
ReplyDelete