Pin It button on image hover

Monday, August 1, 2011

Painted Kitchen Cabinets

The kitchen cabinets are painted and ready to go! Just in time - the Silestone counters are being installed tomorrow!

We used Rustoleum's Cabinet Transformations (in Pure White) kit after much debate. Actually, I went to Home Depot after deciding not to buy the Cabinet Transformations to get TSP and primer and the guy basically bullied me into buying the kit. My thoughts: It is easy to work with and looks great. But it is NOT brush stroke free. And it definitely took 5 coats of paint to cover well. It took two small kits worth of paint (our HD only sells small kits) and only 1/2 a kit worth of the other supplies. So I felt very wasteful. I think if you like the look of glazed cabinets - which this kit includes the steps for - it's worth the cost of the kit. I personally don't prefer the glazed cabinet look - I went pure white in order to get our white appliances to blend in - and opted out of that step, and think that some primer and cabinet enamel at my local hardware store would have done the job. Meredith and Kristal both have great recommendations.

One of these days I'll get my shizz together and take pictures during daylight hours again.

But anyway - back to the cabinets themselves. I was loathing our kitchen. I know that's silly - we had a kitchen. Was it my dream kitchen? No, but it was fully functional, everything was relatively new and working. But the red-brown cabinets were not our style, and with very little natural light streaming into the kitchen it felt dark and depressing.  And now? I seriously just feel like smiling when I walk into the room. Walking down the stairs I see a bright white kitchen. Laying on the couch I see a bright white kitchen. No more black hole on the North side of our house. It's wonderful.

We'll install hardware on the bottom drawers and cabinets once the countertops are installed. Then the backsplash. I can't wait - more pictures when the counter tops are here!

19 comments:

  1. Looks awesome. Also looks like a ton of work. :-) But a great payoff! Can't wait to see it with countertops and backsplash! Will you be adding molding to the tops of the cabs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. EMILY! This looks so good! Wow! I can't wait to see those beautiful new countertops. What a huge transformation.

    Cabinets are so much work, but it really is worth it. (I can say that, because I've only done it once for like 7 cabinets at the rental. I can't imagine doing that many!) But I'm totally happy that you are happy. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I can't wait to see the countertops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!

    PS- I think you may have motivated me to actually finish the bottoms! Maybe I should get on that, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've said it before but I'm so excited to see your kitchen with white cabinets and white appliances. Did you pick a white paint to match the appliances?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lucky Girl! Our appliances are white white (as opposed to almond white, etc) so I knew that going with a bright white would be best rather than a creamy or off white. So I sort of picked it to match, but really I just went with the most pure white I could find. And I love that it's kind of continuous and your eye isn't stopped by a black or stainless steel appliance. I was worried about the white on white, but I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look great! can't wait to see them with the new counters. what a difference a coat (or 5) of paint can make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you install the cabinet hardware yourself? I'm considering painting my cabinets, which look almost exactly like yours, but I'm a little nervous about installing hardware for the first time. Do you have any tips you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking gorgeous! What a difference paint can make! Can't wait to see the countertops and backsplash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks great. cant wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! So bright, even at night. I was just trying to talk my mom into that kit, so it is helpful to read your review. Have you thought about under cabinet lighting? We got some from Ikea, plug in version, so it was easy and cheap- but the difference it makes is huge.

    Have you had a chance to read my email yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so SO beautiful!!! Cabinets are such a pain to paint, but it's so worth it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cabinets! The white looks fantastic. I can't wait to see your kitchen with the new counters!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks amazing, and it's astonishing what changing one thing -- in this case, just the cabinet color -- can do in changing the size/scope/feel of a room. Your kitchen looks fab. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there another option you were considering other than the Rustoleum that you wouldn't have to sand and prime?

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful!! it's totally brighter - and definitely seems to fit the style of the rest of your house much better. great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful!!! The white cabinets really brighten your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete