So, I sat down last night to go through all of my Google Reader and Twitter stream and stumbled upon Meredith and Kristal discussing the accent vlog that Kristal and Leah participated in today. And as discussed in the vlog - I thought it was fabulous, so I jumped on board. We Coloradoans think that we don't have accents - but you guys can be the judge of that. There is a link up here, if you want to play along.
I personally love hearing people's accents, but as Kristal and Leah both mentioned, even more so I loved putting a voice to a blog. So here goes nothing:
And we should note that I develop fake accents subconsciously, not unconsciously. Think before you speak, McKevitt. Although, I do talk in my sleep, so maybe I talk in fake accents unconsciously. We'll have to ask Mr. B.
Hello--just listened to your vid clip. Very interesting! I don't think I've ever met anyone from CO to know how you speak there and I don't think automatically that you would speak a certain way. Not much of an accent but I'd have to heaar you say more things I think. By the way, I am in Indiana and you answered nearly all of the questions the way I would have!
I am delurking for this one! :) I dont think you have an accent, but then again I am from Cali and didn't think I had one till I moved to Texas. Nothing like saying Dude and Ya'll in one sentence. My favorite accent story is when I worked with a girl from the South and I asked her if we had accents. She replied, "Yes, ya'll sound like the people on TeeVee ( she said it JUST like that)."
Hi,I'm Leigh's mom(Popcorn Ideas)in New England. As you probably know I have heard many Coloradoans...so I can say that no, you don't have an accent. I have learned to say "ColoRADo" and not "ColoRODo" and people around here think I'm saying it incorrectly!
I hear a little bit of a midwestern accent in there- just a tiny tiny bit :) I'm originally from WA state and don't think I have an accent either, but as soon as I get around someone from the midwest, I pick up their accent- I think it's the Norwegian in me!
Love it! You don't have an accent to me, sorry. :( But hearing you're from Colorado makes me want to visit there again. I was there several years ago for a wedding and I loved every minute of it!
This might be my first time commenting, but there you go... Happy Friday!
I love hearing you! Does that make me moderatly crazy? Yes.
I think I should try this, too. Because if Emily does it, I want to do it, too. Super fun. And I don't think you have an accent at all. Actually, most of your answers would be similar to mine. (Although we are pretty stuck on 'pop' in the Midwest.)
Nope, no accent at all - and is there a name for when it is raining and the sun is shining? Have no idea!! You are darling - and I don't just say that to everyone.
I love this!!! YOU ARE SO FREAKING CUTE!!! And no, I don't think you have much of an accent if any at all. I always wonder what spending half my years in Idaho and the other half in Virginia has done to my speech patterns. But do I have the courage to vlog?? ;)
Ha! So fun!! I HATE having an accent...mostly because people think I sound like I'm from areas that I'm not from. Also, I think you say "and" differently than I do....like your /a/ is longer. When you give kids reading and spelling assessments they actually instruction to take the local dialect into account for scoring.
AH! I love that you did this and putting a voice to the words! First of all, yay us for giving instructions on how to pronounce the names of our states.
Second of all, I totally subconsciously pick up accents too. One of the girls in my mom's group has a total southern accent, and I'm always picking a bad one up by the end of the session, lol.
Third, can I have you record my voicemail message, 'cause I like how you say my name better than how I say my name :)
This was so fun. And you are totally right, I just sat there and watched your mouth move. Ha. Dude, I sound like a creep! But you really annunciate well whereas I sound like I have a mouth full of marbles. Otherwise, I do think you sound kinda Midwestern and I never knew about the Colorad-o, I'll have to start saying it properly now. Oh and John said (you know he watched, right? ha) "I bet she was in a sorority." I said, yep she was. And he's like " I knew it!" I have no idea what that means???
Just linked over via Shannanigans. I am curious.. how do you say pillow? A dear friend of mine from Denver says "pellow" so I am wondering if it regional thing, or if he is just a special snowflake.
You're cute! Your real voice and how you express yourself add a lot to the written word and pics on your blog. I'm not a creepy stalker, just a blog reader that's never heard you speak before, it adds a new dimension to the reader of a blogger they don't actually know ( ;
I loved seeing you in "action" ... so fun! I don't really think you have an accent either, but I was born in WI, moved to California, back to MN, then to FL and ended up in TN where I've been for years and years. (army brat) I'm a teacher and the kids are always asking about my mutt accent. at least that's what I call it. It's def not southern but not really anything else either but family from up north can really pick up the southern in it. Anyway, loved it. Jennifer
I hear a bit of midwestern in there too, especially how you said "dad". :) This is a fun series! It's always interesting to put a voice to people when all you see are their pictures and read their writing.
Hello--just listened to your vid clip. Very interesting! I don't think I've ever met anyone from CO to know how you speak there and I don't think automatically that you would speak a certain way. Not much of an accent but I'd have to heaar you say more things I think. By the way, I am in Indiana and you answered nearly all of the questions the way I would have!
ReplyDeleteI am delurking for this one! :) I dont think you have an accent, but then again I am from Cali and didn't think I had one till I moved to Texas. Nothing like saying Dude and Ya'll in one sentence. My favorite accent story is when I worked with a girl from the South and I asked her if we had accents. She replied, "Yes, ya'll sound like the people on TeeVee ( she said it JUST like that)."
ReplyDeletei am loving these! i totally make up voices for bloggers in my head - yours was definitely wrong! :)
ReplyDeleteit's also funny to see video of people -- somehow it's different than how they look in pictures.
you definitely say things differently than i do here in the south - but i'm likely the one with the accent, not you! :)
I'm loving these accent vlogs! So happy to put voices with my fave bloggers!
ReplyDeleteHi,I'm Leigh's mom(Popcorn Ideas)in New England. As you probably know I have heard many Coloradoans...so I can say that no, you don't have an accent. I have learned to say "ColoRADo" and not "ColoRODo" and people around here think I'm saying it incorrectly!
ReplyDeleteyou sound midwestern to me! A lot of emphasis on the short "a"
ReplyDeleteI hear a little bit of a midwestern accent in there- just a tiny tiny bit :) I'm originally from WA state and don't think I have an accent either, but as soon as I get around someone from the midwest, I pick up their accent- I think it's the Norwegian in me!
ReplyDeleteLove it! You don't have an accent to me, sorry. :( But hearing you're from Colorado makes me want to visit there again. I was there several years ago for a wedding and I loved every minute of it!
ReplyDeleteThis might be my first time commenting, but there you go... Happy Friday!
I love hearing you! Does that make me moderatly crazy? Yes.
ReplyDeleteI think I should try this, too. Because if Emily does it, I want to do it, too. Super fun. And I don't think you have an accent at all. Actually, most of your answers would be similar to mine. (Although we are pretty stuck on 'pop' in the Midwest.)
You sound Midwestern to me, but I'm from the south so maybe that's why it sticks out to me.
ReplyDeleteLove it! You sound like you have no accent to me, but considering that I'm a midwesterner, I probably just can't pick up on it!
ReplyDeleteNope, no accent at all - and is there a name for when it is raining and the sun is shining? Have no idea!! You are darling - and I don't just say that to everyone.
ReplyDeleteI love this!!! YOU ARE SO FREAKING CUTE!!! And no, I don't think you have much of an accent if any at all. I always wonder what spending half my years in Idaho and the other half in Virginia has done to my speech patterns. But do I have the courage to vlog?? ;)
ReplyDeleteHa! So fun!! I HATE having an accent...mostly because people think I sound like I'm from areas that I'm not from. Also, I think you say "and" differently than I do....like your /a/ is longer. When you give kids reading and spelling assessments they actually instruction to take the local dialect into account for scoring.
ReplyDeleteAH! I love that you did this and putting a voice to the words! First of all, yay us for giving instructions on how to pronounce the names of our states.
ReplyDeleteSecond of all, I totally subconsciously pick up accents too. One of the girls in my mom's group has a total southern accent, and I'm always picking a bad one up by the end of the session, lol.
Third, can I have you record my voicemail message, 'cause I like how you say my name better than how I say my name :)
This one is cute!
ReplyDeletehttp://totaltippinstakeover.blogspot.com/2011/09/firsts-on-first.html
Sarah (your cousin)
This was so fun. And you are totally right, I just sat there and watched your mouth move. Ha. Dude, I sound like a creep! But you really annunciate well whereas I sound like I have a mouth full of marbles. Otherwise, I do think you sound kinda Midwestern and I never knew about the Colorad-o, I'll have to start saying it properly now. Oh and John said (you know he watched, right? ha) "I bet she was in a sorority." I said, yep she was. And he's like " I knew it!" I have no idea what that means???
ReplyDeleteJust linked over via Shannanigans. I am curious.. how do you say pillow? A dear friend of mine from Denver says "pellow" so I am wondering if it regional thing, or if he is just a special snowflake.
ReplyDeleteMuch love from Lizzie in Progress!
LB
You're cute! Your real voice and how you express yourself add a lot to the written word and pics on your blog. I'm not a creepy stalker, just a blog reader that's never heard you speak before, it adds a new dimension to the reader of a blogger they don't actually know ( ;
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing you in "action" ... so fun! I don't really think you have an accent either, but I was born in WI, moved to California, back to MN, then to FL and ended up in TN where I've been for years and years. (army brat) I'm a teacher and the kids are always asking about my mutt accent. at least that's what I call it. It's def not southern but not really anything else either but family from up north can really pick up the southern in it. Anyway, loved it. Jennifer
ReplyDeleteI hear a bit of midwestern in there too, especially how you said "dad". :) This is a fun series! It's always interesting to put a voice to people when all you see are their pictures and read their writing.
ReplyDeleteI love it Emily! So glad to hear your voice :) Thanks for the tag the other day. I'll definitely get to it asap!
ReplyDeleteI wish I would have done this! We sound a lot alike I think. And no we coloradans do not have accents ;)
ReplyDeleteHi I'm a new follower on GFC connecting back and back through these vlog posts. Such a cool idea!
ReplyDeleteFeel free to stop by,
Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes