It's Week 3 of Kim's Dare to DIY Challenge, and in week 3 we throw our food diaries out the window and eat cookies! I mean, how could I say no to that?
Being a girl who was born with a Mc last name and married a Mc (I took my maiden name as my middle name when we got married so I'm a double Mc kinda girl), I usually claim my Irish heritage. Because it's just in your face like that. But there's a significant Norwegian and Swedish contingent to both sides of my family, too (just ask my ribs...they're very Norwegian). And that half of me really loves Scandinavian Christmas cookies.
I didn't actually bake the cookies this year - my aunt made her grandmother's (my great-grandmother Emma for whom I was named) Swedish Spritz cookies for our weekend in the mountains for Thanksgiving this year. But I would have made them for this week if my aunt hadn't done all the work for me :). And we actually have two family recipes - Grandma Emma's cookies and Grandma Stella's cookies. Pictured are Emma's cookies, the recipe is Stella's...they're very similar. Just trying to keep you on your toes, friends.
Grandma Stella's Swedish Spritz (Detroit Lakes, Minnesota)
Cream together:
1 1/2 cups Butter
1 cup Sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
Sift together:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Add the flour and baking powder to the creamed together mixture and force through a cookie press.
Bake at 400 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes
We love cookies. Swedish Spritz, Norwegian Krumkake, the secret McD family Christmas cookie cutouts. It's no wonder I'm always dieting come January. Head on over to Kim's blog to get even more great cookie recipes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Mmmmm... so good :)
ReplyDeleteThose look delish!
ReplyDeleteWhat exactly are Scandanavian ribs? I'm curious.
ReplyDeleteTHese look so yummy. Ryan's grandma makes these, too. And oh my goodness, we eat them like it's going out of style. Mmmmm....
Thanks for linking up! You are the best. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
oooooooo! Spritz are my favorite Christmas cookies and I'd never had them until I met Rob. His family makes gallon tubs full of them every year. It's hard to stay skinny and be married. ;)
ReplyDeleteAlso... you are hateful with your teasing of Christmas Cookie Cutouts. I'm pretty sure my life will not be complete until I've had some. :)
Double Mc! That should be your blog name.
ReplyDeleteLove spritz cookies. I have my great grandma's spritz gun. It doesn't have the trigger that today's do, but I love the history it comes with.
ReplyDeleteYes, what are Scandinavian ribs? My curiosity is piqued.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love spritz cookies!! They are at the top of the Christmas cookie list in our family!!
They look seriously delicious! I'm pinning it so I can try it during the holidays!
ReplyDeleteWish I still had my grandma's spritz gun...She made HUNDREDS of these every year for all of her neighbors! Love Swedish traditions!
ReplyDelete