Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Never Ending Office Saga

I've been working on finally (it's been in progress for a year) getting the House Tour page of the blog up-to-date. And in doing so, I realized I have no pictures of our office/playroom since long before it was a playroom - and long before I actually used it as an office on a daily basis. For the first 3 1/2 years that we lived here, our office was pretty much just a deadzone - the unused space. But as our family grows - and now that I work from home - we're using up every inch of our 1900 square feet.

Disclaimer: This is my least favorite room in the house, and the room that T and I spend the most time in during the day.  I'm just sharing the pictures because it represents reality right now, not because I'm proud of the space.
When we moved in, this room was pretty much the only room that we didn't have hand-me-downs to fill, so it was one of the first rooms we purchased furniture for - a black writing desk and two black leaning bookshelves.If we'd waited even six months to buy furniture, I can almost guarantee we wouldn't have picked the furniture we did. What's the problem then? It's been 5 years, just upgrade. Well, Mr. B does love it. And we're a team, so his opinion matters. 
When I started working from home, my mom and I made the giant pinboard. I love the pinboad...and that's about it.  But anyway, this room isn't on the top of our priority list to change, so this is how it sits for now...


After Thomas was born, the office morphed into an office/playroom. The entire bookshelf on the left is home to Thomas toys now. I rotate toys about once a month between the playroom and storage in the basement to keep the toys we have fresh and interesting - and to prevent toy overload on the mainfloor of our house.

Santa brought Thomas this table last year for Christmas - I have a hunch Santa shops at Swedish super stores. Santa also customized it with blue paint and a chalkboard surface - but Santa didn't wait long enough between primer and paint and as a result there's a lot of surface peeling happening, so the table needs to be completely redone...or we just need to get a new table. I don't love the table overall - it's really lightweight and the chairs tip easily as T's climbing in and out of them, but it does the job for now.



 

So that's how the office looks right now. I'd love to go the direction of a more built-in desk setup under the square windows where both Mr. B and I can work when we need to - with concealed storage and lots of floor space for TMac to play. But we have to juggle our wants with practicality - like how long we'll live here and what impact a new baby will have on our use of space.

 
Pin It



2 comments:

  1. I have so many rooms like this in my house. Rooms that I haven't touched or are in progress that I hate and don't ever want people to see. I totally get where you are coming from. Practicality always reigns supreme. Everything just requires time and money.

    Personally, I really, really like the giant pinboard and complementary green chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the pinboard!! And isn't it a pain to be a real grown up with real budgets sometimes? Thank God for Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete