Pin It button on image hover

Friday, April 20, 2012

Nursery Curtains

When I decided that McKiddle #2 would get a new take on the nursery, I also knew that I wouldn't be changing the basics - namely the board and batten and antique dresser we use as a changing table were definitely staying. I also figured we'd keep the chocolate brown paint.


But in the 2 years since I decorated the nursery for McKiddle #1 (now lovingly called Thomas), I've developed a greater appreciation for color. And since we don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl (truly no clue - last week I was leaning girl, this week I'm leaning boy), we're still aiming for gender neutral here - so I picked dark turquoise as the main accent color - with a few other colors, which you'll see soon. And I figure dark turquoise can be made feminine or masculine depending on the other colors in the room.

I stumbled across this turquoise and brown quatrefoil fabric in January and snatched up every yard they had for curtains. Now that Thomas is happily down the hall in his new room and actually goes to the new room when we ask him where his room is, I felt safe starting to call the nursery the "Baby's room" and making changes to it. Not that Thomas has any clue that the curtains got changed, but it makes me feel better.


Caroline came up this week with her sewing machine and we set up shop at my dining room table, each of us in front of our respective sewing machine. We cut the the fabric to size, lined it with blackout lining, hemmed them and clipped them up on the curtain rings. We gave ourselves an hour to get it done and we were successful. I might be the only person to say this, but I love sewing with blackout lining - the weight and structure it adds to curtains feels substantial.






Still to come: a new crib and crib skirt, a new chair, and I'm going to get over my minimalist fear of artwork and add something decorative to at least one wall. You heard me color and artwork, it's about to get crazy, people.




Pin It

11 comments:

  1. OOOO! I really, really like the fabric you chose for the curtains! Can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the fabric you chose! It changes the whole feel of the room and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like that print - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great. That is one of my favorite color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After lining my dining room curtains, I now always add a liner. I love they way the hang! Love the color of yours - great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that fabric! You know how I feel about turquoise in a nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those curtains! I paid our pastor's wife to make C's blackout curtains for me, but I think next time, I'm going to try to make them myself. I'm a little scared, but encouraged that you liked making yours.

    I can't wait to see what colors and art you go crazy with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. EEEEE!!! They're SOOOO pretty!!! I love the color you chose!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those curtains. I would put those in my house in a nano-second. And how fun that you and mom made them together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fabric you chose! It really looks nice with the room without being overwhelming.

    You and I may be complete opposites - you are a minimalist and I have filled every wall and cranny with "stuff." I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that fabric is so pretty - and definitely neutral enough to work either way. i'm always so jealous of those who can sew!

    ReplyDelete