Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cozying up for Fall - Part 3

Remember how I love pumpkins? Well, I couldn't wait to add them to our porch this year. 


Here are last year's pumpkins all carved up. We waited too long and got pock-marked squashes. 

Oh hai, short hair I've regretted for 13 months. Don't cut your hair right after your weddings, girls. It's about as smart as going to Vegas after a breakup. Or drinking the water in Mexico.

So this year I wanted to buy early, and we'll worry about carving closer to Halloween.  Remember these ribbon banded pumps I found on the Good Housekeeping website?

Credit

I loved them and thought they'd be a good way to snazz up our pumpkins before we carve them. And I still wanted my monogram pumpkin. Really, monograms and pumpkins? Just add a glass of wine - after 5pm - and a grilled cheese sandwich and I'm in my happy place. So, a spool of Black and White polka dot ribbon, a little black paint, 3 pumpkins of various sizes, and a little spray adhesive later:


We've got pumpkins that will hold their own (hopefully) until we carve them. People have interesting reactions to pumpkins before October. Our next door neighbor who - how shall we put this? - chooses to imbibe early in the day saw me putting out the first pumpkin on a Friday morning while enjoying a beer. He said "Pumpkins? Isn't it a little early for pumpkins?" I smiled and said "Not for me, it's officially Fall" when I really wanted to say "Isn't it a little early for a beer?". Then, I went to our grocery store to get the two smaller pumpkins and the checker said to me "What are you going to make with these?" and I replied "Well, I thought about bippity boppity booing them into a carriage, but this year I think I'll leave them as just pumpkins on the front porch". And she said (totally unphased by my Fairy Godmother powers) "Oh, I think puNkins should only be out for Halloween". I smiled, paid and left when I really wanted to say "If I wanted your opinion on when I should put out a puMPkin I would have friggin asked for it."

And that wraps up our cozy fall touches for now. Because, you know, God forbid I go overboard and our neighbor notices. Overboard's not really in my blood, I'm not too worried about it. What do you think?

23 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... you officially made my laugh my ass off this morning. The checker really said that? And you REALLY said you were going to bippity boppity boo them into a carriage? That is HILARIOUS.

    Why do people insist of giving you their opinion when you don't care. I mean, really? Grocery store checker? You cannot even say pumpkin or catch humor at your expense, why would I listen to you?

    Love the pumpkins. And it's not too early. (Assuming you care about my opinion.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're freakin' hilarious "with what I wanted to say was..." I llove summer and the site of mums and pumpkins makes me sad so I like waiting until at least October. But to each his own I am not offended when I see early decorations just sad that winter is on its way. Now It definitely is tooo early for seeing Christmas items in the stores, that irks me and I have seen a bunch already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh - here in GA there are plenty of people who say punkin and it drives me crazy/makes me laugh on the inside. and besides, it's october tomorrow so that's close enough! i love the ribbon and the monogram - i can't wait to go get my own punkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why we don't have next door neighbors! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pumkins with the ribbons, so cute! We also did some monogrammed pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have smiled at the checker and said "Thanks for your input punkin." Okay, so I probably just would have thought about saying it, but still...

    I also cut my hair right after our wedding and HATED it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The front of your house is really cute! It drives me crazy when people say punkin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house is adorable and I love it. Talk about curb appeal! And those pumpkins will definitely help with that too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, great post. :)

    Your house is so adorable - fabulous curb appeal - and the pumpkins look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its NEVER too early for pumpkins!!!! I love them

    ReplyDelete
  11. After the morning I had, I appreciate the laugh you just gave me!! I can't stand it when people offer their unsolicited opinions!! RUDE!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left you something on my blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your porch is so welcoming, I love it! I can't wait to buy mums and pumpkins this year too!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man- you got haggled getting those puNkins- But they are worth the effort, no?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog thru jennifer, you're hilarious! LOVE those pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your home. It is one of my favorite exteriors ever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could not agree more with your hair comment. Well said. And, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw these same picture on Good Housekeeping and fell in love too. I'm heading to the patch next week to get some for my front porch too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the punkins with the ribbon and monogram. Welcome Autumn!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the monogram and the ribbo--very cute! G and I went to a pumpkin patch over the weekend and ours are now displayed on the front stoop. It's not too early IMO either!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why's it so hard to find a good cashier these days?! =]

    I want to marry your house all decked out for fall w/ those beautifully adorned pumpkins. I love them that much.

    I totally cut my hair right after our wedding too. NEVER. AGAIN. At least yours looked great.....I looked like I was ready for my 1st day of kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look great! I love the ribbon, great touch. Does the flower pot neighbor go over the top with pumpkins too?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Catching up on your blog while at lunch when I read the following sentence

    ""Well, I thought about bippity boppity booing them into a carriage, but this year I think I'll leave them as just pumpkins on the front porch".

    OMG!! Laughed so hard that everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me.

    Awesome line!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete