Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Crack out your Crocks

All right, ladies, it's time. This isn't the most original recipe (it's been pimped out on The Nest all month, and while I'm not there much anymore, I definitely saw it making the rounds), but it is divine.

Salsa Chicken
4 - 6 Chicken Breasts
1 pkg low sodium taco seasoning (I substitute Cumin, Chili Powder and Paprika for a lower sodium, already have it in my spice rack version of taco seasoning)1 can Cream of Mushroom condensed soup (can be Cream of Chicken, but I don't want Chicken with C of Chicken, sounds a little too chickeny to me).
1 cup salsa (you can make your own, but I don't. That sounds redic. I just go to Safeway - actually I send B, I don't "do" the grocery store - buy a medium zest salsa that looks liquidy and go to town).
1/2 cup fat free sour cream (I skip this, Mr. B doesn't "do" sour cream. Between the two of us and our stubbornness, we don't "do" much).

Put the chicken in the crockpot. Top it with the taco seasoning (in my case I just pour in a bunch of each spice- no measurements).

Mix the salsa and c of mushroom soup together. It looks retched. Perservere. It'll be worth it. Pour this disgusting mix over the chicken put the lid on, set your crockpot for 6 -8 hours on low (I do six, then set it to warm for the rest of the day), walk away and forget about what this looked like. It will be delicious. I'm providing you with the following photo just to prepare you for what the prep looks like:

An half-hour before you eat, pour in the sour cream and turn your crock to high. We omit this step, and it's still delish. Serve this over rice with a little sauce to cover. Sometimes I like to put a little shredded cheese on top for a little something special.

Note: I considered not adding photos to this post becuase I didn't want to scare you away from making it. But in the end I decided I need to limit my pictureless posts. I would not steer you wrong. Make it.

Now, ladies, go make this meal. It's easy, delicious and kind of comfort foodish but on the healthier side. Seriously, go get your crock-pots right now and make it then tell me that you made it. You won't be disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting, I would have never guessed that was the result of the D&R hysteria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried this last week. Pretty good. My husband didn't like the sour cream in in so we are omitting that next time. But, so easy. I just love the Crock Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great!! I make something similar but the chicken gets shredded and served over rice. I will definitely have to try this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm, Em, you had me at 'sour cream' and 'salsa'. I don't know why I bother to put our crockpot away b/c I make 2 out of our 3 daily meals in it when cold weather arrives. Only a matter of time b/f I start making dessert with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for the comment on TYH about my blog (I promise I'm not a stalker, I just noticed that you mentioned you had seen our hearthroom before)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freckles - you make two out of three meals a day in your crockpot? Inspire me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm . . . looks great. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it doesn't happen everyday, mostly on weekends or if I'm working from home. I start it in the morning for lunch meals, then I transfer the leftovers into tupperware and move onto dinner. Since I cook on HIGH, it just takes a couple of hours per meal. Just set it and forget it, right?

    Usually it's soups or stews for lunch and some sort of chicken or roast for dinner. Or pork for pulled pork sandwhiches.

    ReplyDelete