Pin It button on image hover

Friday, September 19, 2008

A letter to my dear, sweet husband

Dear Mr. B,

We've been married for two months today. Can you believe it? Time sure flies when we're having fun - those sixty days, man have they whizzed by. But the next couple months of our marriage will be a little different. Up until now we've enjoyed nightly walks with little Casco, summery meals and tanned skin. Winter's a different story for me. If I could be any animal, I'd be a bear and just skip the whole season. So here's what you need to be prepared for:

I like to cook chicken. It feels safe to me, and I know what it should look like cooked. I'll cook it in the crockpot, I'll cook it in a skillet, but mostly we'll be eating chicken.

I do not walk Casco between November and April. We occasionally take a quick loop around the block, but that's about as much exercise as he gets from me. I don't like being cold, I don't like darkness, I don't like slipping on ice, and in general I just don't do winter. As a trade-off, Casco loves you more than he loves me during these months. That's worth something, right?

I don't listen when I'm blogging, checking my email, or watching TV - it drives you crazy, I know. Here's why this is pertinent to now - TV season is in full swing. The Biggest Loser started on Tuesday, and I've now checked out of real life. I don't mean to drive you crazy, but I just can't think about having a conversation while reading or watching a conversation. It's too much for me.

I love that you call me in the mornings to check-in, but now that winter's approaching 9 times out of 10 I will not be cheerful, and 4 of those 9 times I will not even be out of bed yet. I have a routine. As it gets colder the routine gets even more set in stone. Casco and I push the snooze button four times. Sometimes five. We eventually roll out of bed and make our way downstairs where we cuddle up in the big green chair with blankets and slippers and read blogs. When the phone rings, it takes every bone in my groggy body to lift myself out of the chair and answer the phone. It's tedious. I'm not cranky at you, just at being awake.

I love you, Mr. B - and here's to hoping that with a little heads-up months 3 and 4 will be just as wonderful as months 1 and 2.

Love Always,
Your Preparing for Winter Laziness Wife

6 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Just you wait and see how time flies. My honey and I will be married 4 years next month and it seems like just yesterday!! Again, congrats and enjoy eachother:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute blog! I am totally with you about the not loving winter thing... but then again, i live in georgia and get all of a month and a half of winter...

    PS I found your blog by searching for other newlywed blogs on blogger. We've got one on wordpress.com if you want to check it out. jkhenry.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I could have written this myself, but just substitute "Casco" with "Oscar".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to borrow this idea - what a great idea, an excuse to be cranky - winter is almost here. Although you know in Minnesota we have 4 MORE months of winter than you do in Colorado. It starts in early October and we have winter weather until the end of May. If I didn't think of something to do in the winter - snuggle by the fireplace and read a book together - I would be single by now. Love, Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete