Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Keeping up with the Laundry

I'm one of those people who loves doing laundry. I love to tackle a tough stain. Just last night, in fact, Mr. B got paint out of his favorite striped shirt (see below) by following my stain instructions. They're intense: Scrub at the stain while it's fresh. Shout it out. Put in the washer immediately. Voila, the paint was gone. But I have to admit, even this laundry loving girl was a little overwhelmed to go from being responsible for her own clothes, to having a second person's clothes to take care of. It took me a year, but I think I've developed a system that will work.

Here's our laundry "room". It's upstairs, which makes things easy. This means that after a run or workout, I can throw my sweaty clothes directly into the wash, run to the shower, and not have to worry about flashing the neighbors. It's the little things in life, you know. It's very small, more of a closet. This is fine for the two of us, but the day little bambinos enter the picture it might get chaotic.
Here's our laundry hamper. I recently acquired it at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% of coupon. Here's why it's perfect:
  1. Each compartment holds the perfect amount of clothing/towels/sheets for one load.
  2. It's on wheels, which means we can keep it in our closet (we don't) and wheel it to the washing machine, or quickly wheel it out of sight when people come over.
  3. Even though it's easy to move, it's easy on the eye if I choose not to - sort of blends into my khaki life.
  4. It has three compartments. I don't believe in washing my brights with my darks, they're very different colors and they don't belong together.
  5. It's solved a whites vs. lights fight I've been silently fighting with Mr. B - he was raised in a "throw it all together" family, and I am firmly in the "whites with whites, lights aren't whites" camp.
Here's my other laundry essential, the compact drying rack. It's perfect for delicates, sweaters and it folds and stashes away easily.

There's the striped shirt, paint free and drying beautifully.
Here's how I keep up with it:
  • I (and by I I mean we) do laundry on Sundays and Wednesdays. Occasionally I'll do a load of sheets or towels on another day of the week, but Sundays and Wednesdays are the big laundry days.
  • On Wednesday I do as many loads as I can before leaving for work in the morning. This usually means that one load gets left in the dryer for Mr. B to put on "refresh" when he gets home in the afternoon.
  • Sunday is the big day - sheets, towels, any full compartments in the hamper (I don't wash partial loads of clothes), and occasionally the sofa slipcover.
  • I hate to fold, but if I do it when they're fresh out of the dryer, it's more manageable.
So, what's your laundry method? Spill.

8 comments:

  1. my laundry method is to wait till i am outta clean underwear or wait till the floor is completely covered with clothing - whatever comes first. And it is usually the latter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My laundrey method is Mondays and Thursdays or Wednesdays....I like ot have my weekends off completely so I squeeze all my cleaning and laundrey in during the week! It gets kinda stressful and nuts for sure. My laundrey area looks like a closet as well...I can't wait for a large one one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed by your organization in regards to laundry. I'm feeling inspired.

    I also have an upstairs laundry (which is heavenly). I try to do the majority of laundry on Sundays, and I sometimes throw a load in during the week. No real method, which I may need. We have gotten to the point where husband actually puts clothes in the hampers placed strategically throughout the house. Gotta take it one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want your hamper! (when, someday, I'm living in my own home again...)
    I wash all the girls' clothes together because I use baby detergent for them.
    whites with whites (unless I REALLY want my yellow shirt and then I call it "white" and throw it in)
    I make sure that my hubby has more underwear than I do so that when I'm running low, I can wash and still know that he has enough to wear. TMI?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE laundry. I will scrub and polish and vacuum till the cows come home, but neither the husband nor I like laundry. Your post inspired me to look at new laundry sorters. The husband looked over at my computer screen and said "Are you trying to find ways to make laundry fun? (I nodded) I think you'd be better off going the pharmaceutical route."

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I envy your organization!! You should see the mess in my laundry room! I absolutely HATE doing the laundry. Maybe I need to invest in one of those cool hampers. It certainly would make the sorting hassle less of a hassle! Great Blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey neighbor, will you come over and do mine? What if I drop it off? Make it easier for you =)

    Our laundry room is in the basement so it makes doing laundry a pain in the arse. Then when I actually do it, it lays in a pile in the office, slowly dwindling as I wear each piece. No folding required =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog. Here are some other helpfuls with laundry...Oxy Clean and Spray n Wash Dual Action (with the 2 liquids separated in bottle). The Oxy Clean works great on brightening colors and whitening whites and the Spray n Wash works great on stains too.
    Also, love the Magic Eraser..that is my ultimate cleaning weapon.

    ReplyDelete