Pin It button on image hover

Monday, November 3, 2008

Before and After

I've often read renovating blogs like This Young House - and recently Freckles Chick with her tiling and countertop adventures - thinking that we might have missed out on something by buying a new house - the fixing bad paint jobs, tearing out carpet, redoing kitchens. I found some pictures last week of the main level of our house right after we had moved in. I remember thinking that it looked so finished. I can't believe how much a couple gallons of paint and a few accessories have changed things. We haven't made big changes, but I'm amazed at how different the house looks.

The Kitchen
Before with quick curtains thrown up for privacy (which stayed for 9 months) on move-in day.

After:
The Dining Room
Before paint, curtains, table runner and chargers, and extra leaf:

After:
Before:
After: The Living Room
Before paint, curtains, mirror and mantle. Whew.


After:
Before:
After:
Sofa Before with Surefit's not-so-surefit slipcover:
Sofa After I put my novice sewing skills to the test to make my own custom slipcover:



The Office
Before:
The, might not ever be an after because I have no clue what to do with the room, after:


So, even though we don't have walls to tear out, cabinets to paint and hardwoods to lay, I think we've done a pretty decent job of making this house a home. Just took a few "befores" to make me realize how far we've come. What do you think? What's your favorite project you've done on your - new or old - house?

12 comments:

  1. Your house is so lovely. It really is an amazing transformation.

    My loves of your house:
    - the kitchen island
    - the shades in the kitchen (so chic)
    - those dining room chairs... you are totally making me more inspired to get my butt in gear and paint my table and get some chairs like that
    - that china hutch is fan-freaking-tastic
    - and the shelves (ladder shelves) in the office.

    Okay.... I'm totally drooling. You best be giving yourself a big pat on the back for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job on making your house a home! I love the little island!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have definitely done a great job. All the after pics look so homey, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house looks great. We have a new home too and I was surprised at all the projects. Our biggest love/hate project is the backyard. Look for pictures in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE before and afters. LOVE THEM! Keep them coming!! You made your home look so cozy with the wall color in the living room. I hope I can pick wall colors that well! GREAT job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of your house transformations. Let's see, I'm in love w/ your kitchen wall color, that gorge dining set, and your lovely MBR, to name a few. And your office has so much potential! I wish we had that fabulous desk. Think it'll fit in the back of my Subaru? The backseat does fold down......

    Thx for the love, chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is wonderful. I love the touches you added to make it your own.
    I am currently in the middle of my worst house project ever. Hubby just finished unpacking all the boxes in the garage but moved everything in the house - I drew the line at his shovels and ladders. Now to move it all back out there! What was he thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Before and After Pics! Your house is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks great!! I love how your dining room turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have def. done a beautiful job making your house your own. It looks so warm and inviting! (Which means I'll be over soon.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I envy you! I wish that a gallon of paint would have fixed our home :) we are gutting every room one by one...and looking forward to the kitchen! I am currently "sprucing up" my guest bath with paint, showert curtain and small details...wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete