Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Taking Decorating to New Heights

Remember when I asked you what your countertop philospophy is? Well, I'm back with another pressing question regarding kitchen decor:

Above Your Kitchen Cabinets:

Decorate?


Or Blank Slate?
Since when do I take ALL pictures of my house crooked? I need to take a photography class...pronto.

I opt for the blank slate because I'm plain Jane and lazy and like to eliminate unnecessary dusting. What's your preference? Sound off!

16 comments:

  1. I do have things above my cabinets, but nothing like the pictures! There are only a few things on mine - we have copper accessories in our kitchen, so I've got a few copper things up there. But I hate when people use face ivy/plants above their cabinets. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kristal, I don't like the pictures shown. Kristal's kitchen is exactly the type of feeling I would go for if I had space above my cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decorate a little bit above the cabinets, but the space isn't much (we have extra tall upper cabinets). I have issues with ivy though... I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a clutter freak, I cant stand it, even if it is supposed to be a decoration, so I am all for the blank slate. I have to say the ivy has got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer blank slate but I wouldn't mind some modern decor (bowls, iron piece, etc)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto Half. I like a little bit but not a lot.
    And I hate the fake ivy stuff. HUGE dust collector that actually never gets dusted. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, our kitchen cabinets extend all the way to the ceiling, so blank slate is my only option :-) But I think i'd pick it anyway, or only include a few choice accessories without decorating across the entire length of the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have white ceramic pottery vases/pitchers over some, and I hung plates on the wall over others. I can't stand fake ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the look of decorated cabinet tops. That being said, mine are blank. Someday I will get to that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the first picture...so many people do the vines and it looks great but the first picture is different and fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One day... when I have kitchen cabinets of my own... ;)
    My mom puts her huge mixing bowls that are too big to store elsewhere up there. They're very pretty, but she doesn't need them often, so it works out well.
    ps: I vote no on fake ivy too. It screams "cheesy Italian restaurant" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a fan of stuff above the cabinets either, esp. faux ivy. Talk about dust magnets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As of now, we have kept the clutter off of the tops of the cupboards. I am so with you on the dusting thing. We had things up in our apartment and they get this nasty mix of dust and grease that is so hard to cut through.
    If it is done right, it can look really nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...that said--I have to confess: I did the fake ivy above the kitchen cabinets years ago in my first house. *hanging head in shame*

    ReplyDelete