This is my mom's go-to recipe. It's delicious. There was a period of time growing up when she made this every single Sunday from October through March. Sunday dinner when the kids are home? Cranberry pork roast. Christmas dinner after a day of opening presents? Cranberry pork roast. Oscar party? Cranberry pork roast. You get the idea.
Despite the fact that I was raised on a cranberry pork roast diet, this recipe is a favorite. Everyone who eats it asks for the recipe. And then, they turn around and try to give my mom this "great pork roast recipe I made with cranberry" about a week later. She tries to nicely point out that she gave them that recipe, but everyone wants to claim it as their own. So here's the mama's famous recipe:
Not my picture, I'm a bad blogger. Photo from Southern Food.
Not my picture, I'm a bad blogger. Photo from Southern Food.You'll Need:
1 (2.5 - 3 pound) boneless pork loin - any kind will do.
1 can jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup sugar (I used a little less)
1/2 cup cranberry juice (my mom uses orange juice instead because the parents always have orange juice. I use cranberry because I always have cranberry juice - I love me some Cranberry Vodka cocktails. Pick your poison.)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 Tablespoons cold water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
***Feeds 6 - 8
What to do:
Mix together the cranberry sauce, sugar, cranberry juice, mustard and cloves. Place your boneless pork loin in the crock-pot and cover with the sauce. Cook on low 6 - 8 hours - in Colorado we require less time, so I go with 6.
Before dinner, transfer the juices to a sauce pot and skim any fat off the top. If the liquid is less than 2 cups, add some water to hit the 2 cups mark. Bring to a boil. I serve it at this point - as a slightly thickened juice for the roast, but the recipe calls for more of a gravy. To make the sauce a gravy, add the cornstarch and water and stir until thickened and then serve with the pork. Then give your friends the recipe, and wait for them to give it back to you as their own.




That looks awesome! My mouth was watering just reading it!
ReplyDeleteI think I want to try this and if I do, I'll report back on how it turned out! :)
Guess what I might make Sunday? This. It sounds delish!! Us Iowa girls love our pork, too.
ReplyDeleteBut smack me if I try to give the recipe to you or your mom or pass it off as my own. Love that story.
This sounds absolutely delicious. I think I'm going to make it this weekend.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I have something for you on my blog...go check it out!
That looks delicious!! I'm going to make that. Thanks for the recipe!!
ReplyDeleteI'm usually not a huge cranberry fan but this sounds yum-tastic.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recipe!
I'm making this sometime this week! "Grandma Jan" in Minnesota showed me your recipe and I followed the link from her blog. It looks delish!
ReplyDeleteI am going to have to try this out! I have a surplus of pork. I wonder if there is a roast in the freezer somewhere!
ReplyDelete