Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Play Ball!

I'm a baseball girl. It's America's past-time and I love nothing more than a tall, ice cold beer, a baseball cap and a day in the sunshine.

I was 8 when Colorado got their MLB team. My dad bought season tickets and took all of the kids to as many games as possible. We spent a majority of our summers camped out in Left Field at Coors Field.


The problem with our affinity for the Rockies is that they were never good. But my dad and I remained loyal. We spent countless days and nights rooting on our favorite boys in purple, making fun of our dinosaur mascot, and trading candy. When Mr. B and I started dating, I tried to share my love of the team with him, but he was a difficult convert.

When people questioned my loyalty, I would always say "I have always been a Rockies fan and I know that they will absolutely one day make it to the World Series". And they did. In 2007, the Rockies played in their first ever World Series. All of Colorado jumped on the Rockies bandwagon to see them crushed by the damn Red Sox.

At the Game 4 World Series Game in 2007

And in 2008, they were back to mediocre, and made the decision to trade their star: Matt Holliday. But it's April. And that means my boys are back in town - and I couldn't be more excited. Play Ball!

Are you a baseball fan or does baseball bring boredom for you? What's your team (please don't say the Red Sox)?

17 comments:

  1. Your right, there is nothing like a cold beer and a baseball game, mainly because it's one of the few sports I "get". Out here we're in Phillies country so we finally got our world series win/parade last year...that should last us for another 20 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since moving here I have been to 3-4 Rockies games- solely because of the "rock Pile." There is nothing like that in MN and I LOVE it!

    (How exciting that you got to go the World Series!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my daughter's kindergarten teacher got us hooked on the Rockies! I. would come home singing songs and wanting to watch the games. I still love my SF Giants, but the Rockies might take over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sports junky...but BASEBALL ranks really high up there! I am from Missouri, so of course we cheer for the CArdinals! The whole family enjoys it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so wish we had a local MLB team! I love me some baseball in the summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a HUGE baseball fan, too! You'll find me at Turner Field rootin' on the Braves!

    Home opener is Friday night... too bad I'll be out of town :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a baseball fan and I think I have it worse than you; I am a Kansas City Royals fan! Although I live in Arkansas, my husband and I try to make it to at least one Royals game a year. We have tickets to see them play the Yankees this weekend and we're also planning a trip over Memorial Day to see them play the Cardinals in St. Louis. I am really excited!

    Play ball!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a girl of many teams. I grew up in St. Louis with a dad and uncle who loved baseball. Then I married a huge baseball fanatic. Opening Day is like Christmas morning to him. He grew up in LA so he is an Angels/Dodgers guy. Now we live in Kansas City so the Royals are who we go see. So we feel your pain about watching a not so good team! Whenever we go to a new city we of course have to go catch a game and my husband agrees with you about the Red Sox so much that we cannot go visit Boston because he refuses to pay to watch them play.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so cute in a baseball cap! Which, of course, it the most important thing about being a baseball fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds a lot like rooting for the Royals. The games are a blast, but fans are often disappointed with the result!

    I pledge my love to the St. Louis Cardinals. No matter what is going on in the world, my life is better from April through (hopefully) October.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woot-woot! Are you going to the season opener on Friday? I'm a basketball girl myself and now that the Nuggets are finally good, I'm so there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my family it's the Dodgers all the way, and I have to say I am not into sports but I do really like baseball. Or is it that I really like Dodgers stadium, they have this heavenly creation called Garlic Fries, they are smothered in butter and garlic, you cant talk to anyone for like two days after you eat them, but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to be a Braves fan, when I was in maybe 3rd to 8th grade. Maybe even into high school, I can't remember now. I used to keep track of the games on my personal score cards, and even convinced my family to travel to Philly and stay in the same hotel they did. But, then they made a series of poor trading choices and haven't been as good as their teams in the 90's. What can I say, I'm a fair weather fan.

    The Red Sox have a farm team here, and I've been to see them once. It was a lot of fun to watch, but my favorite part was eating Dip n' Dots. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow it appears I am the first Red Sox fan.(sorry) My grandfather was a RS fan and I live in CT so they really are the home team for me. Although in CT it is split between Red Sox and Yankee fans. When they play each other it is fun to go watch in the bars. But I do feel your pain, the Red Sox haven't always been good, 1918 to 2004 to win a WS is a long time. What the Rockies did was so fun to watch - they will get their day.

    Yeah baseball season is here1 It has been a long winter and baseball season is happiness for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ya know... I wish we had any kind of professional team in Iowa... But unfortunately we do not! I love watching sports, Baseball would be second to Football though... Sorry :-) Looks like you have a lot of fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry... I barely made it through the first paragraph when you mentioned baseball.... ;)

    Baseball can be fun when I am AT the game. Mostly because of the fans and promotions and videos and cheering. I don't watch much of the game. Baseball on TV is beyond me. I just don't get it.

    It's not that I don't like sports. Sports are okay. Just not for me. =)

    But - I do totally love the photo of the family. ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We're a baseball family too. My hubby is a true and true Cubbies fan, so much so that he trained my daughter to be one too.

    ReplyDelete