Pin It button on image hover

Monday, June 22, 2009

Clean House

We had our first garage sale this weekend. We didn't have much - we've only been married 11 months after all, but we had stuff, and my mom brought up the stuff she's accumulated. We had some old furniture from our previous lives in the baement, frames and photo albums and unburned candles and stuff. Have I mentioned before that I detest clutter? Piles and knick-knacks and purposeless decor make my skin crawl.

I was raised by a purger. My mom doesn't get emotionally attached to stuff - she attaches herself to photos and memories and tall glasses of iced tea on the front porch. She doesn't buy things unless she knows exactly how it will be used, and she doesn't keep things after their use is over unless there's a very good reason. I inherited the purging - and the selective buying.

B was raised by a saver. There's an emotion and memory attached to everything. B inherited the saving. But slowly and surely, he's come to detest stuff, too. Well, maybe not surely - he did pull a golf club he hasn't used in at least ten years out of our garage sale because it's "vintage". Whatever, baby steps.

So here's how we prepped for the Garage Sale:

1) In November during my two weeks of laid-off-dom, I was watching Oprah and Peter Walsh suggested a black bag routine. You go through your house with huge black trash bags every couple months and toss everything you don't use in the bags. You stash them in the basement for 6 months - and if you haven't gone back to the bags, you get rid of the stuff. I black bagged my items - clothes, CDs, everything - and they all went into our garage sale this weekend.

2) B and I both headed to the basement and decided what we use - the awful oak chairs that used to match our dining room table actually get pulled out when we have more than 10 guests (frequent with our big families), but the plywood corner desk? The XL mattress from fraternity days? I don't want to think about it. So we labeled that stuff for sale.

3) Then it was time to tackle the main floor - where we've really kept things minimal anyway. Everything that B wanted to keep (because I would have sold everything) needed to have a compelling reason for keeping it. Unburned candlesticks with no candlestick holders to burn them in? Yeah, garage sale.

4) We woke up early - as we were putting things out 1:15 minutes before the sale was supposed to start, we had people sorting through our laundry baskets of crap stuff.

5) We I bargained on everything - Mr. B got a bit spicy with a woman who wanted a $5 item for $3, so we fed him a donut and told him to simmer.

And in the end, we had a nice pile of cash to add to our house envelope for things we actually need down the line, one laundry basket of vintage Coach and Dooney Bourke handbags to Ebay for my mom, and a clutter free house.

What's your house style? Are you a thing lover like Mr. B? Or an emotionless wall like stone cold me? Do you keep things for a potential future use, or do you figure if you need it down the road, you can always buy another (we need to keep this economy afloat somehow, right?). Sound off!

12 comments:

  1. I'm like B. I have an emotional attachment to EVERYTHING. I've been doing a lot better though thanks to Tom.

    I've actually been following a similar system. Every other month or so I could through the house, if we haven't used something or if I'm just not into it, we put it out in the shed. When we are feeling a need to take a load to Goodwill, we go through our things and decide if there is anything that we need to keep. Most of the time, there really isn't anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I think I'm a mix - I have an emotional attachment but I also hate clutter so I think the hatred of clutter usually trumps the emotional attachment.

    I wanted to have a garage sale but my hubby said that we don't have enough "stuff" yet since we've only been married 3 years. But, now I have you as evidence that it is possible to accumulate enough stuff in a short period of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely a mixture... I have some boxes in the basement of sentimental things from my childhood- old diaries, my favorite t-shirts, stuffed animals, and knick-knacks I loved. But, I am a minimalist when it comes to clutter and accumulating more things. My husband likes to keep everything! HE has about 8 totes of toys from his younger days he says he can't part with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for you. I throw away - way to easily. I worry my children will grow up and ask for the childhood, that I've probably tossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly want to purge our crapola. My husband is a pack-rat and it makes me totally insane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do clutter..and try to de-clutter as much as possible. The hubs however likes to hang on to everything!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO @ "so we fed him a donut and told him to simmer."

    Fantastic tips! We need to get our arses in gear and have a sale. Someone out there will want my old decor shiznit right? And Mr. FC's old lamp made out of rope?

    I live by the the 6 months "don't use, then lose it" rule. Mr. FC on the other hand....let's say he keeps everything. Even boxes of rocks. Which have come w/ us for 3 moves now. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, good for you guys!! I, too, laughed out loud @ the "fed him a donut & told him to simmer" comment.. haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm like B, I keep everything because you never know.... I think it comes from being a teacher, everything can get used in my classroom or crafted into something new. But I'm getting much better because I hate clutter. We had a yard sale last year, then that night we went to Ikea and spent more money than we made for more house crap. hahaha. This year it all went to goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a keeper [looks sheepish...], but I just moved into my first place ALONE, no roommates, and am embarrassed at the amount of stuff now residing in my Mom's basement. Maybe a garage sale would have been a better plan...

    Now about those vintage purses...those don't count as stuff, right? ;) I'll be keeping my eye on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god, do you know how much this made me laugh? I am not emotionally attached to ANYTHING (like, if someone would buy my old photos, I would sell them in a heartbeat. I have the digitals, after all).

    Ryan, he's another story. After a long day in the basement going through his crap... uh, memory-holders, we finally started to compromise. He decided he could get rid of two Mickey Mouse hats (and keep one) and he could keep his California Raisins. Our garage sale starts tomorrow, I just hope everything gets taken away. Soon.

    ReplyDelete