In fact, when I start to hate pictures of myself I know I need to do one of two (or sometimes both) things: 1) Up the exercise and down the food intake. 2) Call my eyebrow lady.
I'm Black Irish - that means dark, thick Irish eyebrows, and while those are endearing on the many Black Irish men in my life - Mr. B, my dad and Dermot Mulroney to name a few - they're not so precious on me. And when they start to get unruly...let's just say it's not a pretty sight.
Since my scale was telling me I'm at my happy weight, I figured this time the course of action was to call up the eyebrow lady.
Here are my brows last weekend:
See how my face is looking a bit lopsided? Well, okay, my hair wasn't exactly parted appropriately and the crooked smile is between me and my 2nd grade orthodontist, but the eyebrows throw everything off a bit. Not great, but let's zoom in, shall we?
Yikes.My eyebrow lady is fan-freaking-tastic - she's doesn't just wax your brows to a standard arch, she looks at your face, she looks at your eyes, she makes 'em work with the bigger picture. Maureen and I met when she was the esthetician at our sorority house - she always had her own salon, but I never needed to venture over there because she made house calls for us sorority girls. Hey, I never claimed sorority life wasn't shallow.
Long story short(er) - since bidding adieu to sorority life I had only seen Maureen once. We're talking about 3 years without pruning the brows professionally. House calls were too easy - and the sorority pricing didn't hurt either - and calling to make an appointment seemed hard. But, my new office is just blocks from her salon, so I have no excuses.
After appointment #1 (well, #1 in 3 years) with Maureen - I've got a little filling out to do in my right brow to meet her standards for perfect eyebrows. We have a game plan, we'll get there.If you're local to the Broomfield/Boulder area and don't have an eyebrow expert, let me know and I'll get you her contact info. You and Maureen can make a game plan, too.
And that concludes this episode of Vanity Hour. Please refrain from being too honest in your comments, like "OMG you look so much better, it was about time you hairy monster". Because, you know, I have feelings, too. And rest assured my friends, eyebrows are as far as I take personal grooming blog banter. What's the story on your brows?




No judgment here! I could write a whole article on my relationship with my brows! When I was like 13 & started to pluck I overdid it & they ended up too far apart. About 4 months before my wedding I started growing them out again, and got them professionally done before the wedding. Since then, I've kept growing them out (perfectionist in me) & have an appointment next week to "perfect" them. Oy! Told you it would be long!
ReplyDeleteI love how yours turned out! Beautiful!
Nice! I have never been to an eye brow lady. Hmm . . . maybe I should.
ReplyDeleteMy Story: I could get my eyebrows waxed every two weeks b/c they grow so fast. I feel like make up goes on so much better after you get your eye brows waxed also.
ReplyDeleteI don't have an eyebrow lady either, and for me, the trick is FINDING one. I don't know anyone that gets her eyebrows waxed, so I can't get recommendations that way. I'm just a wee bit nervous when it comes to just picking a name out of the hat--you never know what you're gonna get, and I don't really want chola eyebrows!
ReplyDeleteYou look fab!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. When my eyebrows start to resemble fuzzy caterpillars, I call my eyebrow lady STAT. I even have her programmed into my phone under "W" for "wax".
You're tan!
ReplyDeleteI've actually never had my eyebrows waxed. Does that make your stomach turn? :P
ReplyDeleteyou should try threading instead. I switched a few years ago and never looked back!
ReplyDeleteI just had my eyebrows waxed today! I love how put-together it makes me feel to have clean lines up there. ;)
ReplyDeleteI actually had my eyelashes DYED today for the first time too. Blog post to follow on this.
Hi there, I will suggest threading(yes it sounds horrible but its 100x less painfull than a wax). If you can find southasian stores/restuarants in your area then you will be able to get the address/phone number of a person who can do the threading.Its really cheaper than wax and God you will thank me for having eye brows instead of crescents.
ReplyDeleteHuma.
I love that you put in arrows. Funny.
ReplyDeleteWow! I didn't even know there were eyebrow experts. Can you ask if there's one here? I wouldn't even know where to look.I think I could use help. =/
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous. I recently moved and haven't quite found the right eyebrow person yet. Sorry to the other posters, but threading totally freaked me out. It's painless, but the whole "dental floss" to beautify the eyebrows is wrong.
ReplyDeleteOMG, you are too cute Em! Loved this post!
ReplyDelete