Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ruffles have Ridges

Mr. B's in class two nights a week this summer. I've been taking full advantage of my two nights a week. Hanging out with friends and wine, sewing ruffly pillows, painting banisters and furniture, shopping for decor elements, chick flicks galore. He never knows what he'll come home to.

So anyway, you know I'm loving ruffles these days, and after making my ruffled shams for the guest room, I wanted to put a ruffle on the main floor. Mr. B had commented that the shams were "so masculine", so I knew that in order to get ruffles to fly in the living room, I needed to steer clear of polka dots.

I bought a yard of green decorators fabric so that I'd have plenty of room for error, headed home and sewed up the two ruffles, and then the pillow cover.


Here's my ruffly pillow complementing my PB stripes on the sofa.

And doing the same thing on the big green chair.

And here's where that green pillow is camping out right now: breaking up all the beige in the slipper chair.

Because this blog is called imperfect, I'll just lay it out there: This pillow is as far as you get from perfect. The ruffles are sewn on crookedly, the back envelope is not great. But it does the job. And adds a little ruffly charm - and when Mr. B noticed it he didn't even comment on the ruffles being feminine. Instead he said, "Em, you are very talented". Love that he doesn't see through the guise quite yet.

18 comments:

  1. That looks great! You should make them to sell on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My couch definitely "needs" some. Too bad I have about a million and one things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, they look pretty perfect to me! in fact, I kinda want one...or 6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's adorable!
    and don't worry, we're almost six years in and Will STILL hasn't seen past my facade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kinda like that they are sewn on crooked- it gives them a certain charm. I'm sure you meant to do that, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look great! What a fun little throw pillow.

    Good call on going with the "masculine" green to balance out the "feminine" ruffle. My husband totally would have fallen for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it turned out great. The fabric is awesome.

    And hubs called you talented. What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH.MAH.GAH.

    I want one. My favorite color is grey. You're welcome.

    Other than that, I'm rendered speechless (which is rare).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love them!!! (and in my favorite color!) You ARE so talented! :) I may have to revisit your tutorial and tackle one this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look really great! You've definitely inspired me to try them on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pillow! I think the imperfections are what make them perfect!! BTW, where did you get your fab slipper chair?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love that pillow...wish i could make one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jesse - It's the Dolce Chair from Target. It's fabulous, but the construction was (apparently) not easy.

    Tam - They're so easy! I'll post a tutorial at some point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks awesome! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that looks great! How did you cut the edges so they are frayed?

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, this pillow is ADORABLE! I love it!

    ReplyDelete