Pin It button on image hover

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Bedroom Television Question

Last week's dresser post reminded me of the age old Television in the bedroom debate. But it's not a debate in our imperfect household. And here's why.

I totally get the argument that bedrooms are for romance. That having a TV can ruin the mood. And I can see how that could be a problem for some couples. I get that. Maybe I'm okay with it because we really don't do a lot of bed TV watching - we don't fall asleep to the TV, we don't watch it every night - not even once a week.

But sometimes, I think there's nothing more romantic than just snuggling. Curling up in bed and laughing together at a late show, or deciding that you can't turn the baseball game off when you're team's in extra innings but you also can't keep your eyes open on the couch one minute longer. Being tucked into bed when you're sick with saltines, seven-up and your sick movie. Mine is You've Got Mail. And I cannot wait for the day when our huge brood of McKiddles are all cuddled up in our bed watching a movie on a cold, snowy night.

And so, I'm okay with the bedroom TV - in moderation.  I prefer it to a "man room" where Mr. B would disappear to for days at a time.  But what about you?  What's your reasoning for hating a bedroom TV?  Loving it? 

26 comments:

  1. We have a TV in our bedroom, and we love it. We always snuggle up before falling asleep, watching the nightly news or finishing our shows. I could live without it, but it makes transitioning to bed much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog...so, I am giving you the Kreativ Blogger Award!

    http://designa-peele.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-very-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a tv in our bedroom. Just like you we only watch it when its nice and cold out and we just want to cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do not currently have one, but only because we moved that TV to the living room. We are working on getting a new one because I miss it. Lots. I think there is no problem with it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're a no tv in the bedroom family. Even with the DVR- I still get sucked into the shows and will stay up later then needed watching them. :-/

    But the cuddling does sound really nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a tv in our bedroom, but we don't watch it a whole lot. Really, I couldn't live without it. I love flipping the news on in the morning so I can get the weather report as I get ready for work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've always had a TV in our room. I remember when we were without children and would snuggle in bed and watch The Practice together every Sunday night.

    We don't watch a lot of TV in our room though. My husband watches his news at night and every once in a while we'll catch up on a show on DVR together if there's something we both like to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a tv in our bedroom also. I have grow up with a tv in my room so I would be a hard transition for me not to have one. I don't think it gets in the way of our romantic nights at all. I also like it since we only have 2 tv's in the house if one is watching something the other one doesn't want to see they can go in the other room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fought my husband really hard to not have a tv in the bedroom and I lost! However, now that we have one in there I can honestly say that I really don't mind having it. We don't watch it very often but like you say, it's great for cuddling up and watching a movie every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, Justin is the one that doesn't want a TV in the bedroom--I would LOVE one!!!

    I miss cuddling in bed while watching a movie! We used to do that all the time when I was in college and did have a TV in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No TV in the bedroom in our house, but not because of romance concerns. I can't fall asleep when my mind is "engaged," so I have never been able to fall asleep in front of the TV. Also, I read a long time ago that the bedroom should be a sanctuary where sleeping (and, ahem) are the only activities, and that keeping it like this ensures better, longer sleep. This way you're not tempted to write to-do lists in bed and keep your mind working and worrying when you should be sleeping.

    As for cuddling, I love cuddling and just chatting when we are in bed. We get our movie cuddling done on the couch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don't have one in there. Maybe someday we will. I don't think it would "kill the romance" but I do like our current routine--if we want to watch TV, we snuggle on the couch in front of the fire (depending on the season). And the bedroom snuggling usually involves reading instead of TV. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a tv in the bedroom and I like it being there. We don't watch is everyday, but it's nice that it is there if we want it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've blogged about this topic too. I am pretty much of the same school of thought on this — Husband and I don't fall asleep to the TV. We don't even watch it once a week. It also has no influence on our personal bedroom business. But the thing I find most annoying about the TV in the bedroom is the space that it occupies when it is used so little. Husband thinks we should keep it for those days when we want to snuggle with a show or movie, but since that is a rare occurrence and we can just as easily cuddle up on the couch in front of a TV that is 75% bigger, I'd love to give the bedroom TV the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no problem with a TV in the bedroom..I may watch it too much BUT dont need it. Hubs however hates it with a passion...but I agree its better than falling asleep on the couch

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who says a TV in the bedroom isn't romanticaL? { insert dirty joke here }. KIDDING.

    We don't watch that much TV so having one in the LR's enough. I grew up on feng shui, so a TV in the MBR is a no-no. I blame my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We do have a tv in our bedroom and it does not get turned on too much. I have it on in the background while I am folding laundry or like this weekend, when I was sick, I laid and watched Sex and the City in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good point. I think it's funny that everyone has strong opinions about everything. Like photos in your living room. I'm totally breaking that rule. Ha!

    I think that snuggling could indeed be romantical. Did you decide on the tv?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to totally believe that TVs did not belong in my bedroom. But the husband could not imagine a room without it....so I caved and I must admit it is nice to have it in there for the occasions you mentioned. My favorite is laughing together at the daily show some nights while we are unwinding. When we redid the master we positioned the furniture to be able to view a flat screen. Unfortunately the washer and dryer needed to be replaced right after that so the new TV had to wait. So right now we have a giant box of a TV just sitting on the floor and it is not in a good position for cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You mentioned all of my reasons lovelier than I ever could have!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a tv in our bedroom and wouldn't have it any other way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. We don't have a tv in our bedroom and if it's up to the hubs, we will never have one. From time to time I say how nice it would be when we don't feel like getting out of bed all day on a cold winter morning or when you're sick. But then it reminds me of how wonderful it is when we go to bed together with nothing but the sounds of our voices. We go to bed and cuddle and there is where we talk about the day's happenings or anything else that's on our minds. We're pretty good at entertaining ourselves to make each other laugh, so that helps too. Anyway, I figure maybe someday, but right now it's great not having it in there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the tv in the bedroom. So many mornings Husband and I lay in bed and watch tv and cuddle, or put in a movie and have breakfast in bed together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a big fan of the tv in the bedroom - perfect for sick days or late night snuggling when you're not quite ready to go to sleep, but don't want to risk falling asleep on the couch and having to move in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, I know I am little late on this one. I love the thought of snuggling up and watching TV. But when we had a TV in the bedroom one of us would want to sleep and the other stay up and I just can't sleep with it on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I go back and forth. In college I loved it! When we moved into this house,4 years ago, we voted with no TV. But last spring, we were given a cute little flat screen. So into the bedroom it went. But we have no cable up there, so really it is Late-Night TV or sports. We're like you, we don't use it every night but sometimes it is nice to cuddle and watch Dave or Conan.

    ReplyDelete