Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

On a Jet Plane

Maybe.  I'm supposedly leaving for a work conference this morning.  Provided that I can get to the airport.  And that my plane can get to Denver.  And out of Denver.  Because the weathermen in Denver (who are notorious for making a big deal out of three snowflakes) tell us the sky is falling.

I've traveled enough in the six months that I've been at this job to figure out a few things.  1) I hate wheely carry-on suitcases - especially when my laptop bag has to be my personal item.  They drive me nuts.  2) I rarely actually hit the treadmill so there's no point in bringing a wheely carry-on suitcase just for my running shoes.  3) If you are stupid enough to pack your workout shoes, don't tell your California, granola favoring co-workers that you like to workout.  They expect to see you in the gym at 5am.  And you have to run in front of people you know. Gross.


And with that, I packed smart this trip.  All of my clothes for the next two days in my work bag.  The key is to work your outfits around the shoes you wear on the plane.  I'm pretty damn excited about ditching the wheely, not gonna lie.

I'm also pretty damn excited about ditching this ridiculous snow storm for Arizona.  You know, provided there's a sky to fly through to get there.  

What's your packing philosophy?  Can't have too much or can't have too little?

15 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have packed so much in my life, but I am not sure that I have a philosophy. Usually it goes something like "oh my gosh, I canNOT believe I am packing a suitcase AGAIN!" :-) I do try to have the essentials in my carry on though, as I have had my suitcases lost more times than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right! When traveling for work, pack around one pair of shoes so you can pack light and avoid checking your luggage.
    Now when going on vacation I always have the intention of packing light but it never works. Especially if it is a warm destination where I can where flip flops. Those pack so well you can bring 10 pairs if you need to. Not that I have ever done that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually carry on because I have a crazy fear of losing luggage. But, I haven't gotten it down to an art yet. I still do the wheely.

    Where in Arizona? My parentals just got down there for the winter - they live outside of Phoenix. Small world. =)

    PS - in Phoenix, there is most certainly an Ikea. You can bring whatever you want back, packed into checked luggage. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely pack light. I hate lugging around too much stuff at the airport. It makes me flustered and cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great trip!

    We usually only fly when we're going on trips that are like 2 weeks, so we pretty much always check our bags. And mine is usually filled with outfits that I fully INTEND to wear, but don't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get out - we've got school cancelled here! It's supposed to be over a foot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hate packing. I just grab clothes, throw them in a suitcase and hope I have what I need. Hope you got out of Denver ok. Charlie's supposed to fly back in tomorrow & he's convinced the airport's going to be closed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I traveled for work last week I brought my smallest rolling suitcase and it was just the right size. The gate attendants announced that if you had a suitcase AND a laptop bag AND a purse (which was exactly what I had), you'd be required to check the suitcase at the gate. But then that didn't happen and I was able to carry on all three, both ways. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. R left this morning for a work conference too! In Lake Tahoe--the bastard (his flight was on time, amazing)! And I'm trapped inside the house while snow keeps dumping on us.

    I definitely am an over-packer. Underwear, shoes, toiletries, you name it.

    Hope you have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I definitely plan outfits around my shoes when traveling. Taking as few pairs of shoes as possible is the best route.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm impressed with your light packing--nice work! Hope you have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun...considering you got to leave! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you make it out? If you did- wow good job! It has been snowing all day. Seriously.

    I try to pack light- but it is so hard. I think of all the things I might need. I am super impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you make it out of town this week or not? Sounds like the snow lasted through Thursday. Will you give it a try next week?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suck at packing! My college roommate used to do my packing for me. Now I have to try and bribe John. Last year driving back from CT after Christmas Chester almost got smashed under a golf bag.

    ReplyDelete