Back on track. I'm interested to hear about how all of you treat your windows. Blinds? Shades? Curtain panels (what length)? Plantation shutters? Bare windows (for baring it all to the world)? Everyone has a different window philosophy, don't ya think? So let's hear it. What window treatment puts the wind in your sail?
Does your heart flutter (and your wallet shudder) for traditional plantation shutters?
Do you like to turn a blind eye to your windows? And if so, are you a fan of the current natural texture bamboo blinds trend (and are they a trend, or here to stay)?
Or the plantation wannabe wood blinds?
Do long lengths of fabric framing your windows make your mouth water?
Or do you prefer everything off the floor and framing just the window?
Do you love the look of fabric but prefer it in a tailored roman shade (sure, you can reconsider the bamboo blinds in this category, too)?
CreditOr do you keep the balance with a valance?
Still here? What do you have in your home? A little mix of some of the above? A little layering? A philosophy for window treatments (they all need to look uniform from the front of the house, one type for the living areas, others for the bedrooms, uniform around the house)? Did you solve a huge window covering conundrum (two story windows? Odd shaped windows?) and want to share the link? I know, it's a lot to take in. I personally lost myself at hangman. Sound off!








I love plantation shutters, but our house has wood blinds. Then I think drapes should meet the floor, but not tons of extra fabric. You never know what could get lost in there!
ReplyDeleteRight now I'm loving long drapes that meet the floor. Preferably with an insulated backing, because it's starting to get chilly!
ReplyDeleteI love plantation shutters and roman shades. But i think I love long drapes even more because I have shosen them on every window in our house. I am thinking about plantation shutters over the giant window over our tub in the master bath...but they are just so expensive. They are beautiful though.
ReplyDeleteWe have a double rod of panels in the living room, and tie up curtains in the bedroom. I figured we'd do some sort of panels in the nursery, but my mom got me seriously freaked out about panels and cords on roman shades as choking hazards. So now, we're kind of thinking shutters. Who knows!
ReplyDeleteI prefer the softness of curtains. I think it just adds a bit of coziness to a room. We also created a tailored valance of black and white damask in the kitchen window.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea- I have a quilt and a shower curtain hung up on nails as window treatments. I guess when I get a real house I will have to deal with this . . .
ReplyDeleteUgh, we have those bamboo blinds in our house. They look just like that photo and I HATE them. They are ugly, first of all, and also there are gaps between the pieces of bamboo so they don't keep out the light AND they are totally see-through. As soon as we can afford it we are getting rid of those things and replacing them with proper blinds. I like the ones in your third picture, the "plantation wannabes."
ReplyDeleteA mix!! Wannabee wood plantation blinds *bc the shutters are so obscenly expensive* and valances and long drapes over the sliders.
ReplyDeleteI'm a jack of all trades. I like them all. We have wood blinds left from our previous owners that I love, butI'm looking at replacing the cheap plastic blinds with the natural bamboo blinds combined with long curtains along with roman shades in other rooms.
ReplyDeleteI have a little bit of everything in my house. Drapes, valances, roman shades, bamboo shades, ... no blinds though. I kinda hate those. :-) I love light, so that is always the biggest consideration when choosing window coverings. Will it block my light? ;-)
ReplyDeleteI loooove plantation shutters and eventually want to put them in my living room. We have faux-wood blinds throughout (wood tone downstairs, white upstairs) and in the few places that we do have curtains, they just meet the floor.
ReplyDeleteI love long drapes that meet the floor, especially for bedrooms. They're great insulation in this cold weather, and they block light for privacy/sleep-in mornings and they just look decadent!
ReplyDeleteI also really like the look of roman shades, but I'm not willing to give up the top inches of daylight that they take up. I love letting the light into my house so I want coverings that open completely and let everything in.
I have plantation wood blinds. I love them, but they are dark and dust shows very easily. They came with our house and honestly I would never go back to the plastic blinds.
ReplyDeleteI think it depends on the room. I do not have a strong opinion. in our own home, I lean towards long panels with roman shades for privacy.
ReplyDeleteWhite, Tailored, Roman Shades!! That was my first purchase for our house and one that I LOVE. They're classic, they all match on the outside of the house, and when my cat pushes the shade aside to drool at the birds, there's no danger of broken blinds.
ReplyDeleteI think it just depends on the room. But I don't like the short curtains or lacy. As long as they keep out light/peeping toms and are cute. I'm still ubber proud of my C&B dish towels turned window treatment.
ReplyDelete