So, since I'm hesitant to part with the length, I certainly haven't gone the route of altering the color. Plus, my dad went gray at 30, so I figure I have years of highlighting ahead of me.

But, as I was going through old pictures the other day, I realized how dark my hair has gotten in the last 10 years. In those days, my hair was constantly in contact with chlorine and sunlight. The lighter hair days were pre-digital camera, so this is the only one I had readily available.
And here's my hair today - darker (with two of the girls from the picture above - the missing friend's becoming a doctor in Chicago, we Emilys just can't wait around for overachievers).I'm thinking that this summer - when my skin is tan enough to support it, I could go lighter. Chemically lighter. And in order to get there, I need to start preparing myself now.
So, how bout some advice? Highlighting dark hair so it looks natural (like the top picture) sounds difficult. Should I just embrace my darkening hair (or consider a career change to year-round lifeguard?). All of you much braver ladies, sound off!




Do you have a colorist/stylist you like? If not, I can recommend a great one in Denver. Mine is awesome. She can do whatever you ask. I wanted something subtle and low maintenance, so she did what she called a "veil"--highlighted my hair except for the very top layer, so that you can see the color but as it's growing out (and it's been like eight months) I haven't gotten a line of roots. It's perfect. A good colorist can also look at your hair and suggest a tone that will fit will with it and not look wildly unnatural.
ReplyDeleteMy senior year I decided to do highlights. I have VERY dark brown hair. It was a disaster. They turned brassy, my senior pictures were miserable--I will NEVER have highlights again. I would dye it...I don't currently just because I rather not spend the money and I'm happy with my color, but maybe in the future. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI actually go to a beauty school to get my hair highlighted (when I do...it's been far too long!), so you can probably assume that my hair has seen its share of interesting color treatments...but its just hair and it will grow!
ReplyDeleteMy recommendation is just to stay within a shade or two of your natural color--even for highlights.
I think you look great with dark hair, but I'm sure you'd look lovely with highlights, too. I just know nothing about what my stylist does. I just come in, say, do something, and she does it. It makes me of little use on All about Me Friday.
ReplyDeleteHello hawt stuff!
ReplyDeleteThe only suggestion I have about highlighting is to remember that they get lighter the longer you have them. I think people tend to go way too light at first b/c they don't see much of a difference when the foil's removed.
What I've done (since my hair's so dark & stylists tend to be stumped in my case) is find a pic of myself towards the end of the summer or after a beach vacation to show to my stylist. Then I say, I want THIS sun-kissed look and let them take over from there.
Can't wait to see what you do!
I TOTALLY know what you mean! I actually used to be a lifeguard and had super amazing highlights! But my hair is practically THE DARKEST brown ever now! It got darker with each kid! The thought of finding a gray hair scares me because my color is soooo dark it will stick out!
ReplyDeleteI asked my hair dresser...and she said highlights is the best way to lighten up super dark hair!
I really like the look of my hair hilighted but (restating the obvious) you need to have someone you trust, and a pic. While I love how it makes my hair look, the upkeep is a pain! I almost always have roots because I run out of either time or money. So pick a color/style that will grow out well.
ReplyDeleteI'm an avid highlighter, I have this ugly mousy brown hair. I've done it all from red to blond highlights and then all over color. Maybe you could consider low lights, instead of highlights? That way it wouldn't be too much of a contrast, but would still make a statement. I always tell my stylist, I don't want it to turn brassy over & over again. And use color protecting shampoo. John Frieda makes a great color glaze too!
ReplyDeleteI know nothing about hair color. My hair is a color virgin. Mostly because I'm too lazy to del with the upkeep. So really the only reason I'm writing is to tell you that your college self looks EXACTLY like my friend Emily right now. You have a Philadelphia doppleganger. Oh and that college pic looks so fun and carefree and college-y, I'm getting nostalgic.
ReplyDeleteToner Toner Toner! =D I have natural Super dark brown hair with red undertones, so the first time I went blonde within a day it turned this horrid orange brass color! Years later I sucked it up and went for it again, the lady used a toner and then gave me a purple shampoo to use 2-3 times a week that is supposed to help keep those brassy tones down and the blonde up! Good luck!
ReplyDelete