Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Another Trip Around the Sun




New Year's day was my birthday. Another candle in the cake. I'm big about my birthday - I complain about it all year long. And this year? I was all of a sudden a grown-up about it. Everyone - and I do mean everyone - was shocked. My sister called and texted me all week to make sure I wasn't testing anyone when I said "Meh, we'll have a family dinner at some point, I'm not worried about it".

On New Year's Eve we had plans to go to a party with some friends downtown, so we made fondue and had the friends who were heading to that same party stop by for fondue and drinks beforehand.  

I made bacon-wrapped dates to add something cheese-less to the fondue samplings. Our friend Ashley brought dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in basil and prosciutto. Both were delicious - but what were the odds that we'd both make something with dates? It was the first Annual Date-off - we'll be searching for new Date recipes all year.
These are the Emilys. We met our Freshman year of high school and have been best friends ever since. It was our first New Year's Eve together in years, and we made the most of it.


On New Year's day, we just relaxed. Got up and went to church and breakfast, napped, headed to Zoo Lights and Sushi and enjoyed the day. I made my own birthday cake - not as pretty as when my mom makes it, but it tasted the same - and had a fabulous day.

Please excuse the "I was out far too late last night" deliriousness.

AND - My brother and sister-in-law made me an aunt on December 29th, and I could not be more thrilled! I am chomping at the bit to head north to see them (and hold that baby!!!) ASAP. Knowing that I have someone in this world to call me "Auntie Em" was the best way to ring in a New Year and new age!  [No pictures to share yet of the baby love, but she's beautiful and perfect and I'm not at all biased].

15 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday and Congrats on the new niece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love those days when you actually don't have a million things planned and you can sit back and relax. That's what I had over New Years as well and it was sooo blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! Looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great birthday!! NYE looked like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so cute! I love your NYE outfit. And happy birthday and congrats on becoming an aunt! So much going on at once for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B'day girl - sorry it was a bit late but someone didn't tell me. (blame, avert, dodge)

    XO - KB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! and congrats on being an aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy One Year Older Day!! You look gorgeous in ALL of your pictures. My sister, Emily, was also very excited to be called Auntie Em. It must be something all Emilys look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I have a RL friend who's birthday is also on New Year's. The upside, I've found, is that I can always remember her birthday!

    Also, I love the Date-off! I have a recipe I love for pumpkin-date muffins. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a great NYE too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Bday and congrats on becoming an aunt! Your NYE dress is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday! you look so pretty, even the "after night out" look. (you should see me after a night out, it's enough to make sure I don't go out again)

    and congratulations auntie Em!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy late birthday!!! And congrats on being an aunty!! What a great late Christmas/early birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY (BELATED) BIRTHDAY, Em!!!! You look so darn adorable, I can't stand it! Love the pearls.

    ReplyDelete