Pin It button on image hover

Friday, May 7, 2010

Lamp Revamp

See this lamp?


It - and it's taller counterpart which I failed to take before pictures of - were hand-me-downs from when we first moved in and had no furniture, no lighting and no desire to spend money too quickly.  I never loved the shades, but figured that if we kept the lamps long term I could just replace it with something simpler - despite my Boulder education and love for flip flops, I'm about as far from bohemian and carefree as you can get.  I like plans.  And walking in single file lines.  And following rules.  

But getting back on track, when I bought my beloved green lamps for the living room, the floor lamp made its temporary home in the guest room.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Until I re-focused on the upstairs of our house.  And the tawny brown finish and beads were still not working for distracted-by-shiny-objects me.



So, I bought some Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint.  Because ORB is the name of the light fixture game here at imperfect.


A little cleaning, taping off the electrical parts, a few light coats of spray paint later, and a $14 drum shade and we had a much improved lamp.




And I love it - especially it's $17.98 project price tag.  This is not the lamp's final home - I have bigger plans for it down the road - but it's a reading lamp in the guest room for now.

Linked to Frugal Friday













12 comments:

  1. It looks sooo much richer now, love it! Where did you find the shade? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Rubbed Bronze Spray. My husband used it on our ceiling fans and it turned out great, even though I didn't think it would =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looks awesome! I think I need to invest in some of that spray paint, I have so many projects that could use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This IS a much improved lamp. Excellent work! I'm always so impressed by these projects of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lamp looks lovely! I love Rubbed Bronze Spray paint. I redid a lamp in my living room using it as well. The transformation of a little paint is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute! i love it next to the chair, which makes me want to curl up with a book, some tea, and a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE it, can you tell Mac to let me paint my dining room furniture black too?!? PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Looks like it came right out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paint looks great and I'm loving the simple drum shade. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great- very PB. Love fast, quick, cheap projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It doesn't even look like the same lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HELL yeah, that's what I call a lamp revamp!! The new color & shade are perfection.

    It's gone from Boulder Trust Fund Hippie, to Cherry Creek Urbanite. Heh.

    ReplyDelete