Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

9 months in a Nutshell

Thank you all for your well wishes - Mr. B, Casco, Thomas and I are all doing well and adjusting to life as we now know it.  My face is no longer swollen from IV fluids, so I'm a happy camper.

We chose not to share the pregnancy on the blog for a number of reasons - work, family and, honestly - pregnancy just wasn't something I talked or thought about in detail - it was very private to me.  I loved being pregnant (after morning sickness subsided) and was excited to meet the little person, but the details weren't my thing and I didn't even talk about them with my best friends, sister and mom much.

So, here's a quick recap:

We found out we were expecting Tommy one week after we bought our tickets to Italy and in the midst of preparing for our extended family to be in town for my grandfather's funeral.  I did a lot of fake drinking and "Oh, I have to drive home, I'm okay, thanks" to the offers of flowing wine at the family get togethers that week.  I was sick sick sick until well into my second trimester.  We told our parents about Baby McKevitt at 12 weeks, but held off for another few weeks before telling the rest of our immediate family and close friends.  We kicked off the 3rd trimester in Italy and I had no trouble keeping up with all the hiking and touring.  My pregnancy was uneventful until 33 weeks when I went to the dentist and fainted during my routine teeth cleaning.  I came to with oxygen on my face and a lot of very concerned dental hygienists standing around me.  Lesson learned: Don't go to the dentist at 33 weeks pregnant.

The closest thing we have to a "belly shot" - the 1st day of the 3rd trimester hiking in Cinque Terre, Italy.

I was planning to try a natural birth - just to see if I could handle it.  I went to the doctor for a regular appointment on my due date, June 16th, and mentioned that the baby had slowed down a lot.  We were sent to lunch and ordered to come back for a non-stress test, which Baby McKevitt didn't pass.  The doctor sent us to Labor and Delivery for more extensive monitoring and we were informed about 2 hours in that we needed to induce.  Long story short, I labored without an epidural for 5 hours when we were told the baby's heart rate kept dropping and Pitocin would need to be turned up to get us to delivery more quickly.  Enter the epidural, administered by the most gorgeous anesthesiologist that I've ever seen - Tommy was almost a Roger in honor of Dr. Gorgeous and his pain relieving magic - and an hour later we were told this baby was not taking well to labor, was in distress and needed to be born.  I cried and ranted to B and my mom some mumbo jumbo about doctors and hospitals rushing patients through a natural process and pressuring C-sections and how I was not going to add to that statistic especially after I'd already submitted to their ploys to induce me.  Eventually Mr. B decided the conspiracy theories needed to be put to rest and said, "Em, I know your only birth plan was to avoid a C-section, but the doctor is saying the baby's not okay, we need to do this".



So that's what we did.  Not my ideal birth story, but my ideal outcome: a healthy baby.  Mr. B was speechless when they held Thomas up for him to see, so Dr. Roger the gorgeous anesthesiologist and temporary love of my life shared the news that Baby McKevitt was a boy (my hunch all along).



And now we're home - Casco's adjusting well and Thomas is working on sorting out his days from his nights.  Nursery reveal coming soon!

38 comments:

  1. You are my hero, freaking hiking in your 3rd trimester. I can barely get off the couch! Thanks for sharing your birth story though...and the pics of your little peanut, he's adorbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's adorable!
    I feel exactly the same way about inductions and c-sections as you do/did, but I guess having a healthy baby in the end is water matters most. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I soooo feel for you being sick. I was very very sick with mine too, but I didn't want to take the strongest meds so I ended up carrying a bag with me everywhere, throwing up a lot, and generally just looking like crap wherever I went until about 15 weeks. It was a great surprise to find out you were pregnant and had already had the baby! Can't wait to hear your take on parent/baby related things :) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Lord, congratulations!!!! I almost jumped out of my chair this morning. I am so happy for you. He is precious and you looked fabulous pg. I hope you planning on blogging about being a new mommy!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you went hiking! Someone asked me if I thought they would enjoy a beach vacation at 34 weeks, and I said of course!

    Also, I think Colton and Tommy were channeling each other. Your lead-up and birth experience are very similar to ours! They might have needed a little encouragement to get here, but they sure got cute right! Tommy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, he is adorable. This is just the firstborn's birth story.......next one will be different! Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great surprise :) I loved seeing this! Glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is gorgeous and pregnancy is a funny thing - good thing the baby helps you forget most of it! Take time to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is beautiful! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad everything turned out well in the end -that is the important part. you definitely blew my mind with your first post! happy for your new family of 3 (4!) and best wishes for you new parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! I totally commend you for keeping your private life private and sharing the ups and downs but not every minutiae.

    Glad your doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's gorgeous! What a wonderful addition to your family. I am sure you are loving being a momma. I would love to hear about what you expected/didn't expect would happen as you go along getting to know your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations once again. I am so glad you are both safe and healthy! He is just so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is PRECIOUS! Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats again! I think that I would have been flipping out about going to Italy during my third trimester--it sounds like you were much more calm and relaxed about things :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You little devil you..hiding all this!! No I dont blame you all...I totally understand, for one you didnt' have to listen to do this, do that and so on and so on.
    he is beautiful...just perfect:)
    I remember my ONLY birth planning beging avoid csection also. And I preached about it for 6 months, and then there I was being ripped open. Oh well, its all worth it.
    The first week of recovery is hard, painful and just makes you mad. After weekd 2 and 3 you will be feeling better..not great..but much better.
    Now that I have written a story..CONGRATS!!!! He is perfect and I am happy for you.(after you wrote on my blog last, I had a hinch that there was a baby brewing up for you)!!!
    Sorry this is a story :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a doll!!! I am so, so happy for you, Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is one sweet baby! hope you're relaxing and letting everyone take care of you! hope to meet him someday soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry the birth didn't go as hoped but look at that precious perfect baby! Am dying to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy WOW! What a wonderful surprise. I just had my baby boy on June 6, so I've been getting behind on my blog reading (naturally). So happy for you, and I can't wait to read about your adventures in parenthood!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! It's good to hear the story! And it's really good to hear that it's actually possible to survive a pregnancy without whining through the entire thing! (and I just alienated all pregnant people of all time) ;) If I ever do get pregnant, can I channel you? ;)
    I love the name you picked. And you were one cute pregnant chica! Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  22. aw what a cutie! I love his little fingers poking out in that second picture. I'm sorry things didn't go the way you would have planned them, but glad you and your little boy are healthy. I hope your recovery is as smooth as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  23. hmmm I tried commenting and it didn't show up...trying again. I just said I like his little fingers poking out in that second picture, sorry things didn't go as planned but glad you are both healthy, and I hope your recovering is quick and smooth! I think that was the gist of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh look, there's my comment. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  25. The news is finally out. He is as cute as can be. Lovely family and happy for you all.
    Can't wait to the the finished nursery.
    Love you. Take care. Can't wait to come out for a visit but don't when that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  26. He is so cute! I'm glad you are both safe and healthy. The non-belly belly shot is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. He's just perfect, isn't he? Love that fabric underneath him, too...

    And, love that hiking pic. Best belly shot yet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations!! Well kept secret. He is adorable! Enjoy every moment - they grow so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am absolutely speechless. Congratulations! You're so right, healthy baby is all that matters! I hope that everything continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. (Found my way here via Du Wax Loolu)

    Wow! What a great story... and what a fantastic secret-keeper you are! Your son is adorable, and you were one gorgeous glowing momma even after surgery! (Says someone who's been there, done that as well).

    Best wishes on your new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great belly shot. Can't beat the views too!

    Congrats again on the little tyke. He's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't know. Your blog is about your life, and you left out a big part of that by hiding your pregnancy. I understand that you want your privacy, but it seems weird. It like I have been reading a lie.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous - Sorry you feel that way, but this is my blog and I can choose to share what I want to share - the ins and outs of my pregnancy were not something I chose to share for personal reasons AND professional reasons - and the professional part is something I would hope most people could understand (although the personal part should be). I have never lied to my readers, but if you choose to see me not sharing a personal and special time in my life detail for detail with people (some of whom don't even use their real names when leaving comments) I've never met as a lie, that's your prerogative.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OK, I am NEVER taking a break from reading blogs ever again. See what I missed?!!

    I 100% admire your approach to blogging/pregnancy. In this world, privacy should be treasured. Certain things should be enjoyed by just you and the ones who truly know you.

    What I'm trying to say is, I love you b/c you're so NOT an attention whore. And I know my whores. =]

    CONGRATS EM, B, & Casco!!!! Welcome to the world, darling Thomas!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh and if Anonymous had any balls, he/she should post non-anonymously. Talk about living a lie,,,,,,

    There, I feel better (feel free not to approve this comment, Em). =]

    ReplyDelete