I had a goal to get summer gifts - for at least June and July - done before the baby arrived. We had two kid birthday parties in June on weekends sandwiching my due date. So I knew I'd be 1) Hugely pregnant or overdue 2) In labor or 3) The mother of a newborn for the parties. So the gifts needed to be ready to go and easy to grab quickly or send with a friend to the parties (and one still needs to be delivered - sorry Jenna!).
Last year for these girls' birthdays I ran to Laurel for ideas, so I figured I'd do the same this year and copy her Birthday Tote Bags. I personalized canvas totes with each girl's initial and filled the bags with coloring books and crayons and fun items that they can use and then throw away.
The "m" turned out better than the "a", which I'm fine with - I figure the "a" looks sort of vintage and taught me what not to do before I started on the "m". It's all about imperfection over here.
Edited to Add: Sorry I forgot the integral "how-to" portion, my mind! I bought Avery t-shirt transfer paper (I've tried other transfer papers in the past and Avery is my favorite) and printed out mirror images of the letters (in this font - one of my favorites for projects like this) on the transfer paper and just ironed them onto the bags. The key difference between the A and the M - for the M I used a pillowcase between the transfer paper and the iron and got a much crisper transfer than when I put the iron directly on the transfer paper for the A.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Emily - these are awesome! I love them!
ReplyDeleteThese are really cute! Is there any way you could tell us how you put the monogram on the bags, because they look really awesome!
ReplyDeleteThose look really good. I'm definately interested in how you got such professional looking monograms.
ReplyDeleteLove it! I'd also like to know how you did the monogram.
ReplyDeleteSorry ladies, I just added the link to the font and the how-to method I used. I'm looking forward to thinking straight again one of these days!
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet! You are a very thoughtful gift-giver.
ReplyDeleteThe bags are adorable. Great idea for a present. But your public wants more baby photos. How is Cosco doing? Are you getting lots of help? You need to rest and recover and just cuddle your beautiful son. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThey look great. How smart of you to plan ahead.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the how to! I have one more question- how did you print a mirror image? I've never used t-shirt transfer paper before, so I didn't know if there might be some software that comes with it or if you used a photo software to do it? Thanks again for your help! This is such a cute idea!
ReplyDeleteVery cute! I always have the best intentions for homemade gifts, and it doesn't often happen.
ReplyDeleteErica - I downloaded the Avery software since my computer (a Mac) doesn't have a mirror image option through Word. A lot of PCs just have it built into their print options (sometimes called Mirror or Reverse, sometimes called T-shirt mode). The transfer paper does come with a CD of PC compatible software, too.
ReplyDelete