Craniosynostosis is the early closing of one or more sutures in the head (sometimes the absence of a soft spot or a very small one) and causes an abnormal head shape. There are lots of different varieties of it that result in lots of different head shapes - some are genetic and associated with syndromes, others are just flukes that aren't explainable. The verdict is still out on whether the condition puts pressure on the brain and can affect brain growth, and there's really no good suggestion for what causes it. There are a couple of surgery options but the most common one requires skull reconstruction.
We were well aware of Craniosynostosis - Mr. B had a (non-genetic, non-sydnromic) form of it when he was born and had surgery when he was 3 1/2 months old. I'd done my research on the condition while I was pregant just in case - I knew that B's form wasn't genetic and that there was a very high (some say too high) diagnosis and surgery rate in the late 1970s and early 1980s - especially in Colorado.
When Thomas was born he had a hard ridge and a bump at the back of his head, but no one seemed too concerned - thought that it could have been a result of his position in utero. When Tommy was about three weeks old I noticed that his forehead was starting to protrude, so I mentioned Tommy's ridge to his pediatrician at his 1 month appointment and she referred us to a Pediatric Neurosurgeon.
That's when I started to do more extensive research and came across blogs and websites that were too dramatic for my taste - parents diagnosing other parents' children based on photos, long drawn out surgery stories, discussions about whether or not a parent should let their kid play a sport when they'd had this surgery five years before. I stopped researching right then and there because it wasn't helping me remain calm and we chose not to discuss the situation with others - actually a suggestion from our pediatrician - until we had an opinion from an expert. We met with pediatric neurosurgeons at both of the children's hospital options in Denver who both immediately confirmed that Thomas had a sagittal stynosis. And the were very curious about Mr. B - especially since they confirmed that Thomas's stynosis was not genetic.
Both surgeons told us the surgery was technically cosmetic because there is no concrete evidence that restricted skull growth causes pressure on the brain. Which of course made us wonder if we should put Tommy through surgery. Both surgeons said they 100% recommended Tommy have surgery - because of the unknown and because of social issues as he got older, and after a little time discussing it, B and I agreed. We trusted both hospitals and surgeons so we chose the one who made us feel the most comfortable, scheduled the surgery, and waited.
This is the best picture I have that shows how Thomas's forehead was affected by the fusion [at his Baptism the weekend before his surgery].
And here's a picture of Mr. Thomas's head the day before surgery from above - more oblong than round.
B and I were both pretty calm - it was so reassuring to know that Mr. B had made it through the surgery eons ago. Medical advances have come along way since Mr. B was a 3 month old.
That's not to say I didn't have my moments: We moved Tommy's baptism up a few weeks because it was really important to me that he be baptized before surgery. I was a wreck that day - because his baptism wasn't the community event that it would have been a few weeks later and because it was the one concrete thing that we had to change because of his surgery and made the coming week so much more real.
But, in the end, we could not be more thrilled with the treatment Tommy received. His surgeon was wonderful - technically skilled - our doctor and medical friends were all astounded by the fact that a plastic surgeon didn't do the closing - but more importantly she was empathetic, honest, and very calm. She told us over and over again that our job as parents - waiting during the surgery - was so much harder than what she had to do. Because she was calm and didn't sensationalize things, we were calm. And his care in the hospital and quick recovery amazed us.
Here's Tommy two days post-surgery. His head was already much more round.
And 5 days post-op (it drove me crazy that I couldn't scrub the betadine off his head):
Two weeks post-op (during a temper tantrum while taking his 3 month pictures):
And now, he's as good as new - happy and healthy with a round head and flat forehead. His last stitch fell out about two weeks ago, and his scar is a faint wavy line across his head. We hope someday he'll have hair to cover it, but if not his dad can teach him how to make up cool stories at bars in college when people ask about it.
And that's that. We made it through his surgery successfully, Tommy is perfectly healthy and we quickly moved onto bigger and better things - like rolling over, drooling, and dressing like a frat boy. We are so thankful for the wonderful care Thomas received, for the skilled doctors who helped us remain calm, and for all of our real life and virutal friends who prayed for us, delivered meals when we got home (and diet cokes and M&Ms to the hospital), and for our beautiful baby boy's resilience and overall health.





He's beautiful either way. I am just glad he is doing well. Those eyes make my heart ache...too cute! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHopefully some other parents can find peace in reading your post. One of my nieces had craniosynostosis too. She had a similar experience to Tommy-- scary at the time, but everything went beautifully. Now she's four and it's all just a distant memory. :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love a frat boy baby. He and Gabe can do keg stands together one day. Secondly, I am still in awe of the way you handled all of this....which was amazingly. He is such a gorgeous kid and I'm so so glad he's healing right on up.
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, I can't imagine what that must have been like to go through, but it sounds like you guys did a really good job at keeping as level heads about it as possible. I'm glad it's over for you and that little Tommy is thriving. He's a real cutie!
ReplyDeletei'm so happy to hear that he is recovering so well. and you are clearly an amazing mom for keeping your cool and being strong for your family. he is absolutely adorable.
ReplyDeletebesides, boys love scars (and bragging about them!)
Thank you for sharing Emily! What a strong mama you are - I would not have handled it as well. I can't believe the difference in just two short days, much less a month later! Tommy is a handsome little dude. :)
ReplyDeleteYou've got one handsome baby! I'm glad he's doing so well and you are one strong woman. It's so easy to find horror surgery stories and also easy to become paranoid just from researching, but it sounds like you all did a great job keeping calm.
ReplyDeleteIt is always amazing to me the resilience that mothers go through - without second thought. Tommy is gorgeous and I am happy all is going well!
ReplyDeleteWow Emily. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad Thomas is ok!! I need some lessons on being calm these days. We are in the middle of waiting on some HUGE news and I am about to go crazy. Trying to stay calm. But in the midst I've started feeling nauseaus for 5 days straight (not pregnant). I think big things in life can make our bodies do weird things, so thanks for sharing. I'll make up my mind to stay calm!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it went so well. He is just so gorgeous! We need to see him again. Which reminds me, we need to figure out dinner plans sometime in the next couple weeks.
ReplyDeleteYou are just ridiculously awesome. Will you please move to Richmond so you can introduce some calm into my life? ;) I so aspire to become more like you. I'm glad you posted this. There is way too much alarmist stuff on the interwebs.
ReplyDeleteI am as high-strung as they come, so your approach to the whole ordeal is so admirable, Em.
ReplyDeleteStill, it's so much to go thru for the little guy! And for you & B as parents! Bravo to the surgeon and bravo to you for doing your research.
Let's talk about this dressing like a frat boy business....Tommy will be flipping up his shirt collar before you know it. Ha!
What a great way to deal with the situation -- I'm so impressed at how you handled everything. I would have been a complete wreck!! Mr. Thomas is adorable either way and that last photo is just so sweet!! :)
ReplyDeleteEm - first of all, when you originally told us, I cried my eyes out. Seriously. With Will, I cried when they pricked his feet sp O can't imagine handling surgery so calmly...you are a better woman than I. And you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that all is well. When you come visit the dirty south, we must playdate and Will will attest to Tommy what a relief I felt at this post.
ReplyDeletexo - kb
He is precious! I'm so glad everything went ok! Also so glad that you were able to remain calm through it all.
ReplyDeleteWhat a scary time for you guys--thanks for sharing about it, and I hope it will help others going through the same situation!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. I'm sure it was a difficult time for you and B. I'm so glad to hear little Tommy is recovering well. Have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteHe's adorable either way, but his results look great! glad everything is healing so well! :)
ReplyDeleteOh Emily- you are so brave. And strong. and amazing. I cannot even begin to understand how hard and scary that was for you two. I am so happy that everything has come out alright. And pray that is continues to heal well.
ReplyDeleteThomas is a beautiful little boy. I'm so glad the surgery went well and he is recovering nicely and moving on to bigger and better things (like dressing like a frat boy-cute!).
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear Tommy is doing well. He's going to be a heart breaker!
ReplyDeleteWow what a stressful time for your family. Thanks so much for sharing this. Tommy is so precious and I am so happy that he is doing well!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you posted this! I'm sure there are other families who will benefit. I'm impressed with your calm demeanor, the opposite of me. And so smart (again not sure I could have done it) not to share with others until you had more info. So glad Tommy is doing well and developing a sense of style.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy that things turned out so calm and so well for everyone!
ReplyDeleteWhat a handsome guy. I love that last photo of him. Just a beautiful baby, Emily.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of craniosynostosis, but I'm sure that your candid post will help future readers and parents. I'm glad you wrote this.
what a beautiful boy he is!
ReplyDeleteJust finding your blog & came across this post. My nephew had the same surgery when he was just a few months old. He just turned 10 in November & you would never even know! Glad your little guy (and mom & dad)got through this ordeal ok!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your post. I am extremely glad I found your blog and it gives me so much comfort for the surgery that lies ahead for us. Our little boy was also diagnosed with craniosynostosis (saggital sutures fused) and am reading up so much and very few have given me a peace of mind and comforting feeling like yours!
ReplyDeleteHey Emily. Today Smith and I went to the Dr. because he had croup for the 3rd time. So thankful that we did. I asked the dr. about this pointed shape on Smith's head. The moment she said Craniosynostosis I thought of you. They are sending us to a specialist next week. Obviously we aren't sure yet, and it may be nothing. I'm not a really worried/paranoid person either, which is helpful. But I'd love to get a few thoughts from you if he does have it. Thankful that your little man came through ok :) Hope y'all are doing ok!
ReplyDelete