Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Photobooks for Family

I'm in the process of figuring out how I'm going to keep our family photos. I don't have the patience for scrapbooking, and in the past I've made photobooks for big trips we've taken.  But now we have Thomas and I care more about having printed albums of day to day activities.

I haven't printed a single photo since Thomas was born.  We did back up all of our photos after the juice accident, but they're still all in digital form.  I'm working on a big 2010 photo book for our little family that I'll order in January and I'll share that when it arrives.

But in the meantime...

Other people want pictures of the new baby in the family and it's been the furthest thing from my mind.  Mr. B's grandparents live in Florida.  We planned to go see them before my maternity leave was up so they could meet their first great-grandchild, but that was complicated by Tommy's surgery and so we still need to make a trip.  About a year ago I signed up for a HotPrints account when I read somewhere about the free monthly book they give away.  They're paperback books and have an (easily removable) advertisement section in them, but they're free.  I ordered one for B's grandparents and one for our nephew. 






The styles are limited and I really don't like the cover options, but for an easy and timely way to document Tommy's life a month or two at a time for his Great-Grandparents they're great.   It's worth checking out if you're looking for small books for that aren't meant to be cherished forever but are, you know, free.

How do you document your family photos? I'm super excited for our big 2010 book which Kristal  helped me with via Twitter!  (Also, HotPrints doesn't know I exist, I just share these things as I find them).

15 comments:

  1. I love photobooks. I made a photobook for my grandmother for Christmas in 2009. It was photos documenting my son's first year... basically it was a photo on each page, for every month for the first 12months. It was a very cute gift and she LOVED it... even had some tear action going on.

    As far as for my own personal use, right now I store all my photos on snapfish. I have been meaning to create more photobooks for our home, so this post reminded me to get on the ball with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of hotprints before. I recently went through all of my printed photos from about 2000-2007 and shoved them in leather albums. Then for 2007-2009 I just picked a few photos that highlighted the year and made a photo book through Walmart.com. I hope this keeps me organized for when our baby girl arrives. I love the idea of a yearly book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard of that one! will have to check it out. that's fun you are doing a yearly book - i have done that the past few years and really enjoy it. i always want to print photos too, but don't ever put them in albums, so that's kinda silly.

    every now and then i will order a few prints here and there from snapfish or shutterfly, and they are always sending out coupons for free photo books. picaboo too.

    ps - your photos of the baby are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heart photobooks!!! WAY better than albums or printing :) Thomas is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love that picture of Tommy on the calendar--awesome!

    Second, I suck at getting photos printed too, and I'm most certainly not crafty enough to scrapbook. I plan to go the photo book route, but haven't done it yet. I probably need to get on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! So far I just do a massive print order a couple times a year, try to be very selective about what gets printed, and put it in regular albums. Once Piglet is here I may have to revamp the system. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tommy on the calendar is so darling I could cry!

    We did a photobook of our wedding for each set of parents they loved it. I am all for them!

    (I propose that we suggest to Kohler that they rename their "Memoirs" toilets/sinks to "Movements", as in bowels.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm terrible at printing pictures too! For some reason we just never have the prints made even though we take a ton of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of those crazy scrapbooking people, so I document in lots of different ways. I think you have a great system and they are turning out so fabulous!!! I love that you put him on a Calendar. What a FANTASTIC photo idea!! I may just have to borrow that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of hotprints. Sounds like a good deal, esp. for something like this.

    Where did you make your year book? I really have been thinking of going back and making books for each year of marriage and then keeping with it going forward. Ummm.... maybe. I would like to, anyhow. For now, I'll just live vicariously through you. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just keep taking photos and it will come to you. I love digital photos and they are all organized on my PC. I do back up CDs too in case the ole PC ever crashes.

    The photo books are great but can be expensive. I like theme books as in Megan - Year One; Megan - Year Two; Grandpa Bob, etc.

    My favorite use of photos is on my blog and you've got that one down to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm I have never heard of this site. I am a lover of photobooks, but somehow have never actually put anything together. I had really big plans for an Italy one.

    Yeah that has not happened...maybe for Christmas?

    I love all the Thomas pics....he is adorable and I bet everyone loves getting those books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous idea and what gorgeous photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the heads up on the site. I use to scrapbook but since I'm 8 years behind, I'm not sure it is a great choice for me. Glad you find a way that works for you.

    ReplyDelete