Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rookie Thanksgiving: Turkey and Gravy

This was a helluva week to pick Turkey.  Mr. B and I have been battling colds and are pretty much miserable excuses for human beings right now.  But, I promised you turkey and turkey you'll get.

I followed the AllRecipes recipe for "Perfect Turkey".  I generally trust AllRecipes and their rating system - if it has at least 4 stars and 50+ reviews, I'll try a recipe. My philosophy usually works for me - rolls excepted - and it worked this time.  This was so freaking good, juicy and easy.

I brined the turkey for 12 hours, stuffed it and prepped it for roasting breast side down.  Lots of people suggested I use a turkey bag but I wanted to try my first turkey without too many accessories - I figure if I have a starting point I can better appreciate modern conveniences down the road.  I've told you before, I'm fickle.


It immediately smelled wonderful.  2/3 of the way through cooking, I flipped it so the bird was breast side up.  That was tricky.  But I made it work.




I allowed 15 minutes per pound of turkey and it was seriously  perfect to get the internal temperature to 165 degrees. As I opened the door when the timer went off the red turkey timer popped right up and the temperature was perfect.  I was amazed.


And here's the turkey all carved up with its very tired and sick pajama wearing chef.  Yikes.


I forgot to take a picture of the gravy but it was good, too.  I made a very small batch and substituted white wine for half of the broth and loved the flavor.  Turkey pot-pie is on the menu for some of the leftovers.  And now I'm going back to bed provided Thomas cooperates - good thing I'm still wearing yesterday's pajamas. 

I'll post the McLinky for anyone who had a chance to participate.



11 comments:

  1. Wow that looks delicious! And props to you for getting it done while you are sick. I was right there with you this week and I was so not up to doing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks fabulous! Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot, I'm not even sick and I didn't get my turkey and gravy done this week. This recipe looks a lot easier than Alton Brown one my husband uses! I hope you and your husband feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty, and the color rocks. Hope you are feeling better! (mr.B too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! And makes me feel less nervous about my own ability to cook a turkey next month.

    Sorry you guys are sick! Hope everyone feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless your heart! Feel better soon! That turkey looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I am so impressed :0 We will be frying ours this year. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks good!! you are quite a brave chef - you will totally be ready for thanksgiving at this rate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think turkey pot pie sounds like EXCELLENT sick food! I'm sorry you're not feeling well--being sick with an infant/baby is SO HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look seriously adorable. How is that possible when you are sick?

    Looks delicious. I've never made a turkey, but I'm hoping to make this challenge up since I was out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you use the baking bags you can skip the flipping! And I like to rub the turkey with olive oil and poultry sage (or rosemary) before baking. Truely! The baking bags are amazing!

    ReplyDelete