Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Grocery Grumps

We walked up to the grocery store the other day and Mr. B stayed outside with Casco and Thomas while I ran in to get a few groceries.  When I came out, groceries in hand:
Mr. B: How was King Soopers? Did you go to the manager who's super efficient at checking people out?  I love that checkout line.
Me: Nooo.  I went to the self checkout.  You know I hate making small talk in grocery stores.
B: Did you get the 10 cent discount then for using our reusable bags? I love that!
Me: Yeah.  But...They kept stopping my checkout process to take the 10 cents off.  I scanned an item, then the computer said "An attendant has been notified to assist you".  That happened three times.  Finally I turned around and said "Is this a joke?" and the woman said "Sorry, I was just trying to give you a discount for your bags."  I mean, come on, can't they do that without stopping the checkout process.  The whole reason people go to those is to get out fast without having to talk to anyone. 
B: Tommy, this is why we don't let your mama do the grocery shopping very often.


Opening Day at our new grocery store.  Back when I was friendly towards the idea of grocery shopping.

And it's true...he loves the checkers and the discount for reusing bags, I try not to talk to anyone and get out of there as fast as possible.  He's probably the right man for the grocery shopping job around here.

10 comments:

  1. As long as he doesn't overspend! I'd take some grumpiness in exchange for sticking to the budget. But I suspect that you guys are both pretty stellar at sticking to your budget at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! I fly through the grocery store like a bat out of hell. I just pray I won't see anyone I know and can get out of there in less than 30 minutes for a big trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh-- I'm totally with you on the grocery grumps. My husband and I usually employ a divide-and-conquer technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grocery store and I get along pretty well. Unless I'm hungry then all bets are off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously love the fact that he loves grocery shopping, and checkers and the bag discount. Cracking me up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable story. That's why Bill does our grocery shopping too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha when i saw the title of this i though - hey, doesn't she refuse to go to the grocery store usually??

    :) yeah i don't blame you - we always try to do self-checkout because we're impatient - and then it always ends up taking double the time (errors, won't scan, etc). oh well.

    i'm glad someone else is as antisocial as me :) (in certain settings!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to note that awesome International Harvester Scout II in the photo. Hotness

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bwahahahaha!! I totally use the self checkout purely for the purpose of avoiding small talk! You're a girl after my own heart.

    Also, once when I was on Pearl St & one of those environmental people holding clipboards started to approach me guess what I did......I pretended like I didn't know English. Shameful but effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoying grocery shopping, but a bad check out experience can kill it.

    ReplyDelete