Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Holding onto Summer

Um...it's October 6th.  I had pumpkins on my porch last year on September 23rd.  And this year?  My hydrangeas are still blooming and I'm holding onto summer with all of my might. 


I really looked forward to the Summer of Twenty-Ten all year - to the arrival of "Baby" McKevitt (now happily referred to as Thomas or Tommy), to a much needed 3 month break from my job, to weddings and small trips and the ability to hang out at the pool on a weekday (which didn't happen, but in my vision of the summer of twenty-ten I was at the pool all the time). 

The fall signified returning to my job, a big surgery, and the closing of the pool.  And we're past all of that and everything is great - and yet I'm still clinging to summer.  Pumpkins can wait.  As long as the hydrangeas are blooming and the days are warm, I'm sticking with summer.

8 comments:

  1. good for you!

    but i gotta say, if you had my summer of single-mommyhood and temps hotter than Hades, you might be welcoming Fall too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish it was still warm here. I love ur flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, the flowers are in the Gurgle Pot! That thing is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hanging onto summer too. Until fall and the rain rolled into town yesterday. Now I'm looking forward to Halloween, soups and the holidays. :) Your hydrangeas are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I need some tips. My hydrangeas have never bloomed. They have some hard-core leaves, but no blooms. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous of those hydrangeas too! Ours bloomed but now they are long gone. Everything still looks...well a little scorched. I think it was a tough summer.

    Or maybe I just need to be better at watering....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Let these warm days continue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are great. Even in June mine never looked like that. I was thinking of asking for one of those fish pitchers for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete