Well, friends. Week one is here.
Sweet Rolls and pumpkin butter. So the rolls? They were okay. I'm hoping you guys had success on your rolls because I'm going to need to steal one of your recipes. The pumpkin butter? I could have eaten it by the spoonful (but it was a little thin - though it thickened in the refrigerator - so in the future I'd pull back on the wet ingredients).
So, in the interest of full disclosure, my oven needs cleaning. I smelled smoke while the rolls were in the oven and opened the oven door to find a small fire. Apparently something spilled over the last time we cooked. So my rolls were gray and a little smoky - but even then they were a little too sweet for my taste. If you like sweet rolls, they're probably good, but definitely not a hearty Thanksgiving roll that makes excellent leftover sandwiches, ya know?
Now, the pumpkin butter (on a torn in half smoky roll) was a success. Last week I ordered a bagel with pumpkin shmear at Einstein's and loved every second of it. This tasted identical to that shmear and would be a really fun addition to a Thanksgiving table of hearty, wheat dinner rolls. Pioneer Woman knows what's up. Maybe she has a roll recipe for me. I'll be eating the pumpkin butter all week long. Happily. And then I'll try this pumpkin butter that Anonymous told me about (thanks Anon - you are the only nice Anonymous commenter I've ever met).
So it's time to link-up! Whether your rolls were a success or not, whether you loved or hated your pumpkin butter, I want to hear about it. To participate:
1. Please link directly to your post so that we can leave comments easily without searching for your post.
2. Please link back to this post so that others can join in the Rookie Thanksgiving trials and tribulations.
3. Leave some comment love for your fellow Rookie Thanksgiving challengers. We're doing this to cheer each other on as we learn to cook a Thanksgiving meal.
I'm excited to see what you guys did this week! I'll be posting potato options for you tomorrow, and in the meantime I'll be cleaning my oven. Let the fun begin...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I used your recipe and felt mediocre about it. But I also shared a few of my favorite recipes. =)
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving!
Ugh...cleaning ovens. Probably one of my least favorite activities. But everything looks so delicious.
ReplyDeleteMy mouth is officially watering.
Busy weekend but I plan to try making rolls and pumpkin butter either tomorrow or tuesday! Your pumpkin butter looks so delicious!
ReplyDeleteThe pumpkin butter looks amazing! I have my go-to roll recipe for Thanksgiving. It's in the red & white checkboard cookbook. Better Homes & Gardens? Called Dinner Rolls. YUM. If you want, I can dig it up and e-mail it to ya. :)
ReplyDeleteLOL at the gray rolls, that would totally happen in my house. Sweet rolls sound good, but I agree, maybe not right for Thanksgiving. I might bookmark that recipe for another time though.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you couldn't have foreseen it, but somehow I couldn't get it together this week! Um, I'm really starting to think about using ceiling fan as a babysitter so I can both cook fun things and blog more. That's cool right?
ReplyDeleteThat punk butter looks fantastic though, I'll probably go back to it someday.
Pumpkin butter = euphoria
ReplyDeleteAlso, this reminds me of the one & only time I tried the self-cleaning feature on my oven. It smoked so badly that our neighbors from EIGHT houses down came over to check that I was OK.
I'm so behind on this challenge. I think it will be week 4 before I have a chance to cook anything that doesn't belong on a Rachel Ray show. I have to confess, I cheated and already did my pies.
ReplyDeleteAre you still looking for a nice and easy but YUMMY roll recipe?? I've got one...I know that I'm a "little" behind on this, but I just found your blog.
ReplyDeleteFollowing along now!