Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DIY Placemats into Pillows

Last year I was going to replace all of our outdoor cushions.  Remember that?  Well, I didn't do it.  But I did stumble across Target's outdoor collection a few weeks ago and bought four placemats to make lumbar pillows for our patio.  I love the style of our outdoor chairs, but they aren't comfortable.  But the cost to outfit the chairs with all new cushions would be absurd - we'd easily replace the chairs with comfortable ones for the same price. 

It's easy to make a pillow out of a placemat.  I ripped the seam out of one short side of the placemat, stuffed the innerds of a big bed pillow ($2 at Target) into each one, and did a quick straight stitch to sew them back together. 

Here's a chair with an old, faded ticking pillows we were using to make the chair more comfortable. 



And the outdoor placemats turned pillows.



We spend a lot of time on the back patio in the spring and summer - B and I will have the occasional happy hour and deconstruct our workdays/projects/events/latest dramatic situation on warm afternoons while Thomas plays in his jumperoo or we'll turn on the lights and play Gin Rummy or Scrabble after Thomas is in bed.  Because we're pretty much 80 years old - and we wouldn't have it any other way.  Just think of how awesome we'll be at being 80 when we really get there.


How's your outdoor space coming along? The kegerator's full (because there's still a little 19 year old frat boy left in 80 year old B) and the chardonnay's chilling - come on by for happy hour anytime.

10 comments:

  1. gorgeous!!! i love how bright they are. and fabulous idea with the lights strung across - i would happily spend a happy hour our there with you --- if only i wasn't thousands of miles away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pillows are really cute and I love the lights! We just bought a house with an awesome deck, but it's furniture-less for now. Nice outdoor furniture is expensive! The plan is to hold out and snag something up on clearance at the end of the summer. I hope it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our backyard is forever in need of improvement--but we'll get there eventually. For now, we just have a table and uncomfortable plastic chairs. I really want to build some sort of pergola or something to give us a little shade and give us something to string lights on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you know I'd be there in a second if I could! June can't come soon enough. Missing you three so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great. I really wanted wooden chaise chairs for the pool side last year...but those babies are pricey. I was excited to find some cheap ones from amazon....the small size would explain that- if only I knew that before buying them. No store bought cushions fit. I think I'm going to cover thick pieces of foam, hopefully that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo... I like them. I still have outdoor fabric from two years ago for cushions outside. I guess since we're moving, I will have to use it elsewhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking we need to uproot our families and meet somewhere in the middle so we can have springtime hh's with and without preppy babies. Maybe the middle is somewhere like...Illinois? Should we move near Kim?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the pillows!!! Look at you go!

    I sincerely hope God smiles on you and grants you both many many happy years together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look super cheerful! Great job! I wouldn't have thought of opening up the stitching and restitching. I would have gotten two and sewn them together. Less sewing & a great way to save!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your happy hour sounds perfect! Maybe next time I am in your area we will stop by! I love the cushions....so fun and so easy. I have been wanting to replace the cushions on our chairs as well, but they are just so darn expensive for some reason.

    ReplyDelete