Pin It button on image hover

Friday, September 30, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (An Alternative Recipe)

Last year I shared my favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chippers recipe. But it's butter heavy. And butter's A) not great for you and B) getting more and more expensive at the store. Guess which reason drove me to find a new recipe?

I present to you, my new favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Still not exactly a health food, but if you sub applesauce for the oil you're getting close. Right? And the only photo I have is of them in log form from the freezer because we ate the baked ones too quickly. Sorry.

Butter-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from All Recipes)

  • 1 can pumpkin
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 bag semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
  2. Add vanilla and chocoloate chips.
  3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F  for approximately 12 minutes or until lightly brown and firm. I bake half and freeze half in log form for slice and bake cookies throughout the Fall.
One note: If you're trying to be all-cute "Oh, I'm going to be a fun mom today and make cookies with my 15 month old son" rather than handing said 15 month old to your husband and making the cookies yourself quickly, I'd recommend putting the bowl of dry ingredients out of his reach. Just, hypothetically, something to consider. 

9 comments:

  1. Emily! Where on earth did you find pumpkin. It has been sold out EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. And now I have the pumpkin to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these cookies last night and they are great! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried a chocolate chip without butter before much less with pumpkin. Would love to try this out. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Your pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is something new to me and I would like to try it specially for my children. I think this chocolate cookie is even more nutritious because of the pumpkin which we all know is rich in vitamins A,B,E,etc. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some really good cookies! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there - I wanted to stop by and let you know that I featured this recipe on my Pumpkin recipes post yesterday! I hope you will stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Are there any other substitutes like the vegetable oil for butter?

    I personally believe that butter is very good for me and enjoy fat heavy recipes. It's the sugar heavy part I like to change, particularly white sugar as it's the deadliest (in my view). Wondering if maple syrup + turbinado sugar would work well as a substitute for the white sugar.

    As for chocolate chips, I've used carob as a substitute and it's worked majestically.

    Thank you.

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete