The backsplash is done-zo. Mr. B was totally dreading this portion of the kitchen remodel - he cut the first tile and it shattered. I cut the second tile and it didn't. So he threw his hands up in the air and said, "I'll take Thomas to the pool, you do this". It was a tedious job - we probably didn't have the best tile saw and the outlet cuts just about did me in. But, I perservered and made it through my first tile job.
I had originally planned on doing Carrara marble subway tile for the backsplash, but in comparing the cost and what we wanted to spend on this quick little kitchen project, we decided to hold off on the marble and spend a little extra on the counter tops and sink instead. And, with the number of mistakes I made while cutting, I'm so glad I went with Home Depot's $0.28/tile white subway tile instead of the pricier marble. But, when we ditched the idea of Carrara Marble, I was drawn to the idea of some dimension somewhere. It's a good thing, you guys all brought me back down to earth and reminded me that classic is better. Thanks friends, I needed a reminder that I'm not trendy. Ask the skinny jeans I tried on last week.
I LOVE the pure white subway tile backsplash. But, with the accent tile nixed, the next hiccup was that B and I disagreed on grout color - B (after seeing and really liking the mosaic option I brought home) wanted gray grout to differentiate the tiles while I preferred the look of white grout for our small kitchen. So we decided that we'd just start tiling, and if we thought the tiling job was perfect enough for gray grout, we would consider it carefully.
But the tiling job answered that question for us - it was our first tiling job, after all. Not that there are any glaring errors, but I wasn't confident enough in my seams to use anything but bright white grout. And I'm glad that we ended up with white because it just makes the tile so sparkly and bright, and I was concerned that in our kitchen - which lacks much natural light - the gray grout lines would 1) be too busy and 2) not allow the light to bounce quite as much. I had no reason to believe these things, I just did. Sometimes our minds are funny things.
This backsplash was the project that unearthed other projects - like window trim. Our house didn't come with windowsills (thanks builder). It hadn't really bothered me, except that I knew how great window trim and sills would look on the big windows in our house. But with tile going up, we didn't want tile to trim the kitchen window, so our handy neighbor came over one Monday night and installed a windowsill. We're not done with the top of the window (we'll do a traditional craftsman window trim), but the windowsill is my most loved unexpected part of the reno. More on that when the window is done.
So that's the kitchen. Crown Moulding is still in the plans for the tops of the cabinets, we're just taking a little time off before we start that. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




How can you not love classic white subway tile!? Awesome job!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great! You did an awesome job!
ReplyDeleteSoooooo pretty!!! This gives me hope that I too can one day do a tile backsplash in our kitchen :) Your kitchen is looking so lovely!!
ReplyDeletewhat do I think? It is awesome!!! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI think I voted for light gray grout...but I'm glad you went with white! It looks AMAZING. Such a huge upgrade!
ReplyDeleteIt looks awesome - so sparkly! Great job
ReplyDeleteIt looks really good! And you really can't go wrong with classic, can you?
ReplyDeleteJust a piece of advice if you haven't already, you may want to seal the grout. Sometimes things may splatter (spagh sauce) on your gorgeous NEW grout lines and you don't notice immediately and then you have to figure out creative ways to cover it up... not that I've experienced this or anything. :)
GREAT job! Love love love it. Classic is something you won't get sick of.
ReplyDeleteGreat work. I am sure that you are totally loving it and being almost done with your kitchen reno. And just think, now you can add tiling to your resume!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I love the crisp clean look of white subway tiles. Your kitchen looks fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI love the classic look of subway tile - and it does so much to brighten up your kitchen! :-) Great job!
ReplyDeleteLooks great! You need to post some tiling tips for those of us who also have not completed a tiling project! :)
ReplyDeleteLooks great! Very neat and clean!
ReplyDeleteThat's great! It's so bright. I'm impressed you used the wet saw, that tool was way to scary for me. I know it's odd but the backsplash is what made me feel like the kitchen was "done".
ReplyDeleteEmily! I'm so impressed!!! That looks amazing!! I'm so glad you went classic with all-white.
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE the backslash! I love all white... so pure and classic!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a great weekend! XOXO, Stephanie @ Blonde HIghlights
It looks amazing!!! Great choice on the white grout, I think it looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteOhmygoodness. It looks SO GOOD! The white on white with that gorgeous countertop is too much prettiness.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are one awesome DIY gal for doing it on your own. Tiling is such a tedious job! I know Ryan wasn't thrilled with the lines on his blacksplash job, but he was a trooper and did gray grout for me. I don't notice the imperfections, but he does. Silly guy.
Anyhow. That kitchen doesn't even look like the same room. Wow! It's like twice as big? Did you add square footage? And I love that windowsill, too. I am a sucker for a window sill. What a great neighbor you have.
Love it all! Are you basking in your beautiful white kitchen? I'm just totally impressed over here.
BEAUTIFUL! Yay for you taking charge of the tiling! It's 2011, women do stuff now is what I always tell Mr. FC.
ReplyDeleteIt was definitely the right decision to go w/ white grout. Not only does it make the subway tiles so crisp, I feel like it adds some dimension to them too! Almost like the edges are beveled.
I am so, so, so impressed by your kitchen transformation, Em & B!!
This looks amazing, Emily. And I could have sworn I already commented, but must not have?
ReplyDeleteYour kitchen looks so much larger now, not to mention lighter and brighter. And I'm totally loving your countertop choice.
And the fact you did it yourself just solidifies you as the DIY queen in my book. I'm totally impressed.
it really does look amazing. i think you'll be happiest with the white - keeping it simple. you job taking on a tile project (aloneish!) we have yet to do that but i could see it being quite a process.
ReplyDeleteit's still amazing to think about the great before and after of your kitchen - it's a whole new place!
It's so beautiful, Emily!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou guys did an amazing job!
Where did u purchase the subway tiles?
ReplyDeleteSO pretty! I've been looking at tons of inspiration pictures for my dream kitchen, and I love the look of white subway tiles! Now I just need a house :)
ReplyDelete