
I love all you pretty followers.
I first thought it was just a silly popularity competition created by the powers that be at Google and refused to add it to my blog. I had no idea that "following" added the blog to your Google Reader - and since I was addding subscriptions long before this feature was around, I haven't made the switch to "Following" people instead of just being subscribed in the old GoogRead. And I'm not sure that I want to make the switch - that's A LOT of subscriptions to find, follow, and remove the duplicate from my reader.And based on the big discrepancy between the followers number and my subscribers number, I'm guessing that a lot of people are hesitant to make the switch.
So what do you guys think? Do you put a lot of weight into what the "Followers" box tells you, or are you just happy that people comment? What's your favorite way to know someone's reading your blog? And for those of you who choose the follow method, do you like reading blogs that way? Thanks!




I never looked at my google reader, so when they made the "follow" option I was exctied. All the blogs I follow automatically pop up in my dashboard and it's so easy just to click on them and read away! I really like the feature.
ReplyDeleteYou're talking to someone who just realized that she STILL hasn't changed the time stamp on her posting feature to refelct daylight savings time. Always the last to know.
ReplyDeleteEh, I always just use my blog list on my sidebar. Sit down w/ my coffee in the morning and hit up each blog in order.
I DID however add the "related posts" widget at the bottom of my posts after I saw you do it to yours! Thanks!!
I haven't ever looked at my Google Reader. I don't mind the follow feature, but I haven't taken the step of actually putting the feature on my blog.
ReplyDeleteI love google reader and used it long before I had a blog. But comments make my day, and a list of followers could never make up for interaction with people who have found my blog and taken the time to comment.
ReplyDeleteFC - you have to change the time stamp for DST? I am such a newbie...
I dont even use the google reader, I just read them through my dashboard, I like it, and then I can refresh the page to see any new posts. I like it, but I have never tried goole reader so I am not sure of the difference.
ReplyDeleteI'm hooked on googlereader because I can have it on my igoogle page. Every time I go to search something I can immediately see if there are any new blog postings (GREAT way to procrastinate though unfortunately)
ReplyDeleteI had the same reaction as you to the follower feature. It just seemed like a popularity contest. Like pp said, I'd much rather have interaction through comments on my own blog as well as the ones I read. Also, it makes me a little uncomfortable to display every blog I read in a "blogs I follow" format.
I use goggle reader too- and I not the follower thing. I am not sure why I put the little thing on my blog, really. But I think "following" is a huge commitment to make to another blog- Chris thinks I am crazy because I feel like following a blog means you follow that baby like you "follow Christ!" So yeah- my views are little twisted.
ReplyDelete(I didn't know the following added them to your reader. That would have been helpful. Oh well.)
Emily - this technical stuff is way too hard for me. Widgets, tweetering, follow features...sounds like stuff from sci-fi movies :) Can't we just go back to sending snail mail? or in our case, love letters?
ReplyDeleteI've never followed anyone... but I guess I could.
ReplyDeleteI love Google Reader, but I've had a terrible problem keeping up with the blogs lately.