Pin It button on image hover

Friday, August 21, 2009

Snoop Sisters

Mr. B and I were making our nightly rounds the other night with Casco.  I love walking Casco around 8 o'clock on summer evenings for several reasons.

1) I am a much more enjoyable person (for myself and others) when the sun is down and I'm not hot, and this summer the nights are cool enough around 8 for me to venture out without getting spicy.

2) Because the world is cooling down around 8, people start opening their windows, and when their lights are on inside, it's prime viewing time for me to see who's done what to the inside of their houses.

So, the other night, we're walking Casco, and a man who lives two blocks away from us is out looking at the sewer project the city's been working on.  Mr. B starts chatting him up about concrete and sewers and new home warranties (men!), and the man tells us he needs to get his steps replaced.  We refer him to our concrete guy, and he mentions that there's a house down the street the same model as his that just put in new steps - but changed the width of the steps - and that they've already talked to the people who did that house's concrete because they really liked it.

So we told him he was talking about our house.  And he says, "Really?  My wife is always looking in your windows and the other ones that are our model to see how everyone's laid out the furniture".  

And instead of playing it cool and laughing, Mr. B throws me under the bus.  "Oh, Emily is always looking in the windows of other models like ours, too.  I've had to drag her off your porch lots of times."  Sounds like the neighbor's wife and I will get along just fine.  I hope she likes wine.

And for the record, I only spy from the sidewalk unless I know the house is vacant. 

16 comments:

  1. haha that's awesome. We used to live in a development of town homes so it was easy peasy spying from the sidewalk. Now we're out in no-man's land so I've got nothing to look at without looking like a creep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to walk around my neighborhood at night because it is easier to see in other people's houses then! I'm just checking out their decor, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious. I do the same thing and it drives my hubby crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious!!!

    Sounds like you have pretty cool neighbors.

    You have home warranties?? That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way...I always like to drive slow and look in windows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, that is too funny Emily. I am guilty of the same crime, I love looking at the other homes in the neighborhood to see what they have done, especially those who have the same floor plan as we do. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha- Way to go B! Such a loving husband.

    (If it makes you feel better- I love to walk around our little pond at dusk too so we can see into everyone's apartments. You can see right it. It is amazing how decorated some people have done up their homes.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny! Love it. I hope you don't ever get a glimpse of something you'd rather not see :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. I sense a new BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe, people always walk by our house ve-ry slowly, staring intently at it the whole time. I always tell myself it is because our house is so cool, but my paranoid side wonders "do they think we're like some weird nasty house that they tell stories about to their neighbors?" lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha ... I do the same thing. I actually get annoyed when people have their curtains closed and I can't peek inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh thank goodness Im not alone in my snooping adventures. I LOVE looking in older homes too. My boyfriend always yells at me. Especially when there is a vacant house that is open...and I beg to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! You, Emily (and all posters on this entry) are the reason I seal my bedroom up tight at night! My husband thinks I'm paranoid but I KNOW people are looking in.





    ....how do I know? I'm a peeping Tom myself :-P

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha! I like driving by houses with lights on and seeing what people are eating or watching at night. I just hope no one does it to me. :)

    ReplyDelete