Pin It button on image hover

Monday, December 7, 2009

No-Sew Children's Tutus

This week's Dare to DIY challenge is here and we're giving homemade gifts.  My nieces are 4 and 2 - they have books, toys and clothes, and that can make them hard to shop for.  As my cousins and I were reminiscing about our grandparents this fall, we talked a lot about playing dress-up in Grandma and Grandpa's basement.  Dress-up was awesome, wasn't it?  Every little girl likes some semblance of dress-up.

Dare to DIY

So armed with 10 yards of tulle, pink for the oldest, purple for the youngest, and some elastic, I started making dress-up tutus for the girls.  There are loads of tutorials online for this, but I just used my common sense - tying strips of tulle (cut in half width-wise) in knots around an elastic band sized for each girls' waist.  



This is Casco's "Back off, woman" look.  Mr. B was humiliated on Casco's behalf for this picture, but I don't have a toddler just waddling around my house to use as a model.  And while we have a few other gifts that we will at the least adding a personal touch to, that's all I can share for now - because the 4 and 2 year olds don't read yet, but other members of the family do.  Check out Kim's blog to see some other awesome homemade gifts for this season!

15 comments:

  1. Casco does NOT look happy. But, I love it. What a fun gift.

    Believe it or now (I know you'll believe it), Lola has a no sew tutu. It's pretty ridiculous (but hilarious). She hates it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying that Kim made Lola a tutu!

    What a fun idea--why didn't I think of this last year when we *bought* tutus as presents?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha ... the things we do to our dogs. I think he rocks the pink look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dress up was {ok ok... still is} my favorite activity ever! Your nieces are going to LOVE those tutus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No sew...that's something i can do! Love it! I have a little girl on my list, and this may be the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tutu is awesome, and so is the photo. Poor Casco!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girls LOVE these and so do all their friends when they come over. Too cute (it's freezing here, too by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I wish I had a niece or cousin small enough to make one for, because my dog would not stand for this like Casco. It would last all of three seconds before she shredded it. Casco is more compliant, or obedient than Glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I am remembering this for a future child! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Casco! :) But I'd do the same thing to my cat, and Casco tolerated it better than Alice would.
    Will you make me a tutu? Because I would enjoy prancing around in one. ;) (and this is why I'm sure the stork will only bring us boys)

    ReplyDelete
  11. bwahahahahah! LOVE!

    that made my night. Thanks Casco!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He looks so thrilled! That picture totally made my night (I am sure it will look fab on the real recipient as well)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You win the award for cuties photo ever. Cosco is actually taking it all quite well - better then Mr. B (pink, how could you?? I what to know how fast puppy was able to get it off after the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that dogs can know humiliation. The tutu's darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great idea for girls who have everything! Poor puppy- you should that for next year's xmas card.
    Thanks for the complement on my fabric bags. We aren't big tree huggers either- but we use a ton of bags to portion out food and I realized how pricey that's getting.

    ReplyDelete