Pin It button on image hover

Monday, April 12, 2010

Patio Furniture Update - Part 1

This is our patio set.  I bought the table and four chairs on Overstock.com three years ago for about $150.  I love the style of the furniture - it was not unlike the Pottery Barn Potrero set available at the time but on a smaller scale.  It's held up well and fits our patio perfectly.

See, there are our dead grass patches.  Just in case you were feeling ripped off last week.

The only problem is that the chairs have never been comfortable - and I'm biased against any X-back chair design now as a result. B and I have adjusted for our own outside dining purposes, but we always feel guilty having guests sit there.  The cushions that the chairs came with have seen better days and I've never been a fan of the yellow - so I decided that this would be the year to revamp the chairs.

So, I'm going to cover the existing cushions in white now that the yellow has faded.  And then I need to make something for the backs.

So here's the question: Do you prefer matching chair cushions with an attached seat and back?


Or, do you like the look of a seat cushion and a coordinating (or matching) throw pillow for the back?


Sound off on your preferred look - I don't have a favorite as long as the chairs become sitable for our dinner guests.

20 comments:

  1. I vote for coordinating. I like mixing patterns for visual impact. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with the modern lines of your set, matching seat and back cushions all the way (but not necessarily attached to each other...), I hope that makes sense!

    I'm not sure what thoughts you've put to fabrics but there are great outdoor fade resistant fabrics available now (like Sunbrella), which might be worth a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the attached back because whenever I sit in one with a throw pillow back it's always shifting around and I have to keep readjusting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the connected ones because whenever they are separated they slouch and fall down and inevitably need to be adjusted, which is NOT what I want to be doing in the summer with shorts/skirt on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hands down attached back. I love the visual impact of mixing, but let's face it you're going to be sitting there eating, drinking, chatting, lingering for hours, you don't want to be constantly adjusting the sliding pillow at your back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with everyone. Comfort is key and the attached back is so much less annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the throw pillow!! You can change them up and wash, ahem hose, them off very easily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the attached, but I have kiddos and those throw pillows would NEVER look like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Attached back! What a fabulous patio set. Makes our metal set from home depot look like the red-headed stepchild.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like option 1. that way you don't have to worry about pillows falling off or flying away on windy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the looks of both, but I think the attached backs would be more comfortable and they would stay neat.

    I love the x-backs. What a bummer that they aren't comfortable. We have retro metal lawn chairs for our patio set. They aren't exactly posh, but they are so comfy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. mismatched! (at least that's what i'm doing with ours.)

    the white's a good idea ... no worries about fading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Like the matchy-matchy ones. But who knows- people might be more comfortable with the pillows . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote attached back for both functionality and style. I just discovered your blog and love your style. I too share your love for IKEA (great new couch) and really want to boycott them until they set up shop in Denver, but then I'd only be cheating myself! I also have a Golden - she's 8 months and has her own blog. I love her like she's a real baby! That Casco of yours is quite handsome. Maybe they can be friends one day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the set!
    I think coordinating sets are nice because they're more comfortable. But I like the luxury of outdoor throw pillows. Not that I have any... but in my head they seem luxurious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coordinating! I love that you can do different colors, patterns and mix it up for different occasions, plus it gives guests an option. My mother would never be comfortable with a back pillow. My dad would never be comfortable without one! This option gives the best of both worlds to you and your guests.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the second option. Cute, more options for mixing and matching down the line, and also more comfortable because you can adjust the back pillow to the height you like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My vote is.......... matching chair cushions with an attached seat and back. But then, I like low maintenance. No fixing pillows each time I sit! Love your set.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the matching set.....but it probably more difficult to make. So the pillows could be a winner. Either way I bet it will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I say pillows- I think they are more plump and therefore more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete