Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pretty Garage Plans

Blogging's been a little slow lately - we're both busy at work and in the midst of a few projects from this list when we're not working, but not at a posting point with any of them.  Don't you hate those in between phases?  I'd post pictures of our dead lawn that we're reseeding for you, but really...it would be a picture of dead grass.

So reviving the backyard aside, the next big project I want to tackle is the garage.  My grandpa used to paint his garage floor almost every year.  My mom cleans her garage once every few months.  B's mom and dad tackled the organization of their garage a few years ago and it still looks spotless - they even bought us the awesome low white cabinet underneath all the tools as a housewarming gift.  We come from a long line of garage pride.

And the garage pride didn't pass us by.  Seriously, one of my biggest pet peeves is when the neighbors park their cars in the driveway instead of in their garages - it was my mission to get both of our cars into our garage the night we moved into the house.  I get secret joy out of watching the non-garage parkers scrape ice off their windows in the winter and drive away cackling to myself "Serves you right, suckers.  Park those cars inside where I don't have to look at them!"  I am aware that I'm not a very nice person, I'm working on it.



This is half of our garage.  We keep it pretty clutter free, but it could use some sprucing up.  Last year, B wanted to Epoxy the floor, but the Home Depot paint guy told him that it wouldn't work because we'd parked on our garage floor for two years and it was too dirty.  He gave us a brochure to have it done professionally, we were annoyed with the sales tactic and didn't think about it again.  Then, last summer, I stumbled across Katie's garage floor and she assured me that an old and dirty garage floor could be pretty, too.

So I'm back on the garage beautifying plan.  The first step is to clear everything out, power wash the floors, apply a solvent to any oil stains and get started with the epoxy process so that we go from what you see above to something more like this:


After that the plan is to pare down - organize all the cans of paint that we have laying around, get rid of crap, and get everything off the floor - in an organized manner.  On the other half of the garage, we need to come up with a recycling and trash solution that doesn't involve trying to toss recycling over my car and into the bins.  I leave the house frequently to find empty cereal boxes on top of my car.  

So that's the plan - I'll share more photos as we get started and things are underway.  My side of the garage is a disaster - oil stains, cereal boxes and all.  What's the status of your garage? Beautiful piece of art? Dumping ground? Somewhere in between?  Anyone successfully epoxied their floor?  Suggestions for dealing with So that's the plan - I'll share more photos as we get started and things are underway.  My side of the garage is a disaster - oil stains, cereal boxes and all.  What's the status of your garage? Beautiful piece of art? Dumping ground? Somewhere in between?  Anyone successfully epoxied their floor?  Suggestions for dealing with the grudge I hold against the people who can't fit their cars in their garages? I think therapy might be my only hope at this point.  

16 comments:

  1. your garage is already pretty impressive, i must say. we end up letting ours get cluttered and then have to purge and clean up every month or two. it's a bad cycle... luckily we have a lot of storage but are too lazy to organize!
    definitely share how it goes fixing the floor - i would love to do that someday too, but our floor is 18+ years of dirty on just painted concrete...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH we had a garage! We have a shed in the backyard and a carport...I would DIE for a garage. No one around here has one though--1960s ranches and tiny driveways...cute and homey, but not practical. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha- I feel the exact same thing when people have to scrap their cars in the morning. Oh dear. However- I think it comes from the opposite reason- my parents almost never had their cars in the garage- and I vowed that when I had my own garage I would always park it inside. And we have. I guess it helps that we now have a three car garage for one small car . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have one car and a two-car garage. When we moved in we piled all our boxes on the side of the garage that we weren't using and then for months just tossed all other boxes in there--from Amazon orders, Costco, etc. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and we spent a whole day cleaning up and organizing the garage, and driving the boxes to a nearby recycling bin (it took a couple of trips). Now our garage is organized though we aren't as efficient with the space as we could be because we have all that extra space on the side with no car. When we get a second car we will be vigilant about keeping the space neat because, like you, I am determined to keep our cars IN the garage, away from the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly my garage is a dumping ground at this point. I aspire to have a perfectly clean and organized space but right now its pretty hard to accomplish. We have quite a few boxes from our move that have still not been gone through and are living in the garage. Those are mixed with boxes of outgrown toddler clothes, baby stuff that I know I will use with baby girl when she gets here but don't want in the house yet, etc. Plus its my workshop to work on furniture and do painting stuff. Its dirty and dusty and totally unfit for our vehicles. Blah! I definatly want to be one of those people that just pulls right in and its clean and nice. You give me motivation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our garage is a disaster, and it drives me nuts. Especially because literally half of it is trash--boxes, and things we literally haven't looked at since we moved in a year and a half ago.

    I am totally game to dump it all, but Justin is a pack rat, and won't.

    Plus, our laundry is in the garage, so there are always piles of laundry back there, which doesn't help the situation.

    Actually, I have been meaning to make Justin schedule me a Saturday for us to do a dump run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My spring garage clean up is scheduled for this weekend. I rent so I won't be painting or doing the floor pretty but it will look good when we are done!

    But, I only have to scrape or brush off my car when I leave work to go home because no matter what, the car still fits (so I guess I am not *that* bad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You would die if you saw ours right now. It is a disaster! It's on my list though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That guy at Home Depot was wrong!
    We epoxied our garage floor-- 40 year old house with nasty yuck-o concrete-- and it looks awesome! We bought our epoxy "kit" at Costco- it was cheaper than getting it at Home Depot, and it has enough in it to comfortably do a 2 car garage. We did have to do the acid etching to remove stains before we did the epoxy (which added an extra day to the process and cost extra because it wasn't in the Costco "kit") but that really worked well.

    Words of advice--
    Don't be skimpy with the sprinkles (we helped my father-in-law do his garage floor and went heavier with the sprinkles on his and it looks better than ours.)

    BUY EXTRA SPRINKLES!!! You can get a bag of the little sprinkles at Home Depot and I highly suggest having an extra bag on hand "just in case" (trust me- it beats frantically searching Home Depot while hoping that the epoxy isn't going to be too dry for them to stick by the time you get home!!!) And you can always return the unopened package if you don't wind up needing them.

    The downside-- you're going to have to park outside for a couple of days while the floor cures! GAH! :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we fall in the in between category....we always are able to park our cars in ours (except when I big project is going on in there like cabinet painting). But it is not super organized like yours. It is also painted bright blue by the previous owners and so far I have not hated it enough to be motivated to repaint it. But it is getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our garage is tragically unattractive. I've contemplated epoxy but my FIL always talke me out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish we had a garage. Growing up I did though. I don't understand why people don't park in their garage- waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. please don't ever look in my garage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby would love it if our garage could be neat and tidy. We aren't too bad, just a little crowded. We did epoxy our floor, but we did it before we parked on it. I left the epoxy part to my dad and hubby, but my mom and I had lots of fun adding the sprinkles at the end. Can't wait to see your finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love that you laugh at people scraping their cars. Hilarious. We're at my parents and my dad's garage - spotless. You could eat off the floor. There is art on the walls. It's embarrassing. ;)

    We need a serious decluttering in our garage. I promised Ryan I'd help him with that this month. Not looking forward to it. Ryan's parents epoxy-ed their garage. It looks amazing. Jerk at Home Depot. Didn't know what he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm that person you're laughing at b/c we can't park in ours! It's the realm of "things we can't have in the house due to renovations".

    It's like the wardrobe from Narnia in there.

    Can't wait to see what you do w/ yours. It already looks a lot better than most of our neighbors. I'm that person who stares interestedly into neighbors' garages when they have their door open.

    ReplyDelete